Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Treasure Fire (Leadville)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire northeast of Leadville

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 am

np. Been fishing up at Clinton Res so I've been pretty close to the fire area. BTW, when are you going to come up and help me with my fly fishing? I'll buy lunch!
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby jeffCC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

had breakfast at Jan's in BV. I asked the waitress about the fire, she asked the whole room. One of the locals said "it's out".

So it's official.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 am

That's not official.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby colokeith » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 am

jeffCC wrote:had breakfast at Jan's in BV. I asked the waitress about the fire, she asked the whole room. One of the locals said "it's out".

So it's official.

Seems Legit!!

Now it is on the internet so It is 100% true. I am tweeting about it now
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm

On sunday, I was pre-riding the Silver Rush 50 MTB course and was kicked off by Lake County Sheriff due to unknowingly being in the closed area due to this fire.

We drove by at about 6:00 PM yesterday (Monday) and it was still smoking a bunch. The news article said it would smoke for weeks after containment
http://www.9news.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=274178

I would call BS on anyone saying it's "out".

The smoke in the morning seems to be worse than later in the day. I wonder if this will affect the upcoming races (both running & mtb) in Leadville ?

It was dry and dusty up there..

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Treasure Fire Update

June 26 @ 6 a.m. - This morning’s briefing for the Treasure Fire burning in Birdseye Gulch 6 miles north of Leadville brought two main facts:

First, the fire remains at 320 acres and 10 % containment. In the video, Incident Commander Chris Naccarato talks specifically about tactics and resources, referring to a bigger map of the area, which will be helpful for residents to identify where the perimeter of the fire lies.

Second, the Lake County Board of Commissioners is expected to sign a STAGE TWO Fire Ban into effect this afternoon for the county. In the video, Leadville Ranger Jon Morrissey, explains exactly what that means for local residents. Be advised! Later today, we will post the official document, including the specifics of the new restrictions.

The video update also includes messages from Mike McHargue, Lake County Emergency Manager and Fire Chief Dan Daily. Our local responders are doing a great job, so we hope you take the time to listen to what they have to say to residents – thanks!

With more than 100 firefighters from various operations from across the state and country fighting the fire over unstable terrain, most at over 12,000’, all indications are that things are “under control” and “working their course” which will include smoke and haze, although in the background of this video, there are signs of Leadville’s famous bright blue skies – at least early in the day!

Leadville Today will continue to provide coverage of the Treasure Fire, keeping locals informed of what’s happening in Leadville, Today!

Quote and Video located here...
http://leadvilletoday.com/2012/06/23/breaking-news-fire-burning-north-of-leadville/

Postby jeffCC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

NOTE: This post contains NO irony.

I stopped by the Race Series HQ (=store) and they said the fire is not having any effect on the races this weekend. The fire is not out, but it is under control. Crews are doing controlled burns in the area to prevent spread. The upper part of the course to MP remains closed.

I spoke to the wife of a VFF. He says they'll probably be up there all week "mopping up".

There's an info poster on the sidewalk in LV showing a map of the affected area. The absolute closest point on the course to the fire is Mosquito Pass itself. The fire boundary is 1.5 mi NNE of the pass; the course runs SSE.

I just drove half of the half-marathon route (the lower half) and could not see any smoke, FF activity, or any evidence at all that there is/was a fire. The afternoon has been gray/overcast with some light rain.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:59 pm

When I was there (Sunday) I didn't see any smoke where I met the deputy either (this was somewhere beyond Ball Mountain near county road 3). I had to ride down CR 3 to get out and rode past where they had the road baracaded, as it wasn't barricaded from where I came into the closure area..

Postby gb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:24 pm

This was taken around noon yesterday from the CT between Searle and Kokomo passes:

4 hours later, I was on the CT between TN pass and the HC Wilderness and it looked like this:

Didn't seem like it was out to me at that time.

Re: Treasure Fire (Leadville)

Postby Magnum420 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Just in from the Lake County Office of Emergency Management...

[Breaking News]: Mosquito Pass is now open. Good news for the LT100 Marathon

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 pm

General question about higher altitude fires...are they less likely to blow up really fast because of the lack of oxygen compared to one located in Boulder or the Springs?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Drove by this fire today and it's still smoldering/smoking

PreviousNext