Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Please critique our plan

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Please critique our plan

Postby Kirkwiley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm

[quote="nyker"]After driving 1000+ miles, have you been ok with hiking the next day to near 10,000ft from sea level?quote]

This is the conundrum. Want to squeeze everything into a 10 day trip. Last year we flew in Saturday, drove directly to RMNP, and spent time at visitor center (13,000?) and camped over 10,000. Sunday camped in Guanella pass, also over 10,000. Hiked Monday thru a mild but constant headache.

With better fitness this year, hoping to again camp high when we arrive Saturday night and then mild hiking through half moon pass and camping high Sunday evening will result in being stronger on Monday. Optimistic or foolish?

Talk about your alpine starts- we're leaving Chicago as early as everyone can stomach, then rotating drivers all day. Would leave a day earlier, but my daughter is dancing with a professional dance company Friday evening (Hubbard Street for those that know these things).

Postby bj » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Kirkwiley,

I live at 300' and regularly go to high altitude (10 to 14k) the next day with little problem. Yeah, you probably can't move as fast as someone who lives at 6k, but you'll do okay. I'll be driving to Colorado from SoCal on the 30th and plan to summit Wilson Peak on the 1st.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..

Postby nyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:35 pm

ok, cool, never know. Everyone is different and I've known people who need a couple days up high before they can move!

Postby lpyle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Kirkwiley wrote:
With better fitness this year, hoping to again camp high when we arrive Saturday night and then mild hiking through half moon pass and camping high Sunday evening will result in being stronger on Monday. Optimistic or foolish?

In my experience, fitness doesn't make much difference in terms of adjustment to altitude. If you've had headaches, nausea, etc. at altitude in the past, you probably will again.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary

Postby Kirkwiley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks to all for contributing to our trip. Your experiences and advice are valued.

Postby klinger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Just remember that campfires are not going to be part of the camping experience this year. This is a big deal for some people.

Postby Kirkwiley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Campfire bans are a big loss to the camping experience. Growing up camping in the Midwest, the campfire is almost as ubiquitous as all your belongings soaked in dew every morning.

Probably too soon to determine if the fires will block us from attempting any portion of our trip at this point? I suppose one of the appeals of Colorado- drive 60 miles in any direction and find more 14ers, not to mention all the 13ers. We’ll find something to walk up, down or around :)

Is there a local news station that provides accurate fire reports that will help us adjust the plan?

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Go to weather underground and pull up the "wundermap". On there you can click a check box that will show you where the fires are and where the smoke is.

Huge part of mountaineering: its sucks but it is ok to fail, as long as you can retreat safely.

Postby sunny1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 pm

rickinco123 wrote:Go to weather underground and pull up the "wundermap". On there you can click a check box that will show you where the fires are and where the smoke is.

Huge part of mountaineering: its sucks but it is ok to fail, as long as you can retreat safely.

Excellent info, very timely - thanks for posting! :D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Previous