Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Treasure Fire (Leadville)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire northeast of Leadville

Postby SKIBREC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:39 pm

did democrat,cameron,lincoln,legal part of bross....saw very little if any smoke from the summits....it did start snowing on the summit of lincoln and most of the way to bross....today
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Jules246 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Does anyone know if this fire would affect a hike of Mt. Sherman from Fourmile Creek? I am not from the general area and having trouble finding good info on this fire and how it is spreading. I am not sure how or if it has affected the Mt. Sherman area or access to the Fourmile Creek trailhead. I appreciate if anyone might have any recent info. Hoping everyone is ok from this fire and all the others going on in Colorado right now.

Postby Dram1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Jules,

You should be able to hike Sherman. The fire is moving in the other direction from Sherman right now, and as far as I know, the only road closed in the area is the one up Mosquito Pass. You might want to check with the Sheriff's office just in case though. It will probably be pretty smoky up there, though. There's been a lot of haze hanging around the area, especially in the morning.

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 am

Just FYI, this fire is being referred to as the "Treasure Fire".

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 am

I hiked Sherman with the kids Sunday (their first 14er). Access is still fine, no restrictions. Just an extremely dusty road like everywhere else. I was concerned we would have a lot of smoke, but it wasn't bad at all. We couldn't even see the direct plume from the Treasure fire, apparently it hasn't grown too much yet. I could see all the way to Leadville and the Sawatch range. It was hazy, but I guess we'll all have to get used to that the monsoon rains begin (if they ever do).

Postby Jules246 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:10 am

Dram1 and Steve Knapp,

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear the smoke isn't too bad and we don't have to cancel our plans. Still thinking of everyone who is being affected from all these horrible fires.

Postby fleetmack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

I climbed Argentine Peak on Saturday and we were on top for about 3 hours watching the fire escalade (from probably 3-6pm). here is a picture from shortly after it started (taken with my droid, so not that good of quality):
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

I was on Ptarmigan Peak in the Mosquitos today and didn't see a plume from that fire. Either it's out, under control or ran out of fuel?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby altidude » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 pm

I saw no smoke driving through Leadville yesterday afternoon. Saturday there was a decent sized plume however.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

Postby jeffCC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:29 pm

man, all these fires!

I was just heading out of the Springs on Sat when Waldo Canyon was going up. Didn't know if I'd get through b4 they closed hwy 24.

Spent a couple days camping/running/hiking up high getting ready for Leadville half next week! I was just checking in here to see about Waldo.

Sheesh. Where's the next one gonna be? Kinda makes me hesitate to plan anything....

A week ago I was pretty psyched about all this dry weather. Never thought I'd be hoping for a good old fashioned monsoon.

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Drove by the fire area about an hour ago and it was smoking pretty good again. I think they were planning to do a controlled burn at some point today, maybe this was it. I could see a small spot fire to the north of the main fire. (sorry for the cell phone pic, my good camera died) Overall though, this fire is probably in a good place. Very few homes, it has above timberline terrain to the east, a decent valley floor to the west, and Climax to the North. Winds are out of the SSW.

"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks for update Magnum.. thought you might have been in that valley from your pic Sat!

PreviousNext