Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire in Waldo Canyon

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 pm

colorado yooper wrote:New fire north of Woodland Park at Rainbow Falls. 2 acres, they are sending air support to it and now it's getting windy up here. Yeesh...

WP is being surrounded. :shock: :wft:

Postby Jesse M » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:12 pm

@MUni Rider-Do you treat Forest Service Rangers the same way you would a smoker? Didn't a ranger start the Haymen Fire? We don't even know a smoker started the fire, be careful everyone.

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:25 pm

MntOwl wrote:@MUni Rider-Do you treat Forest Service Rangers the same way you would a smoker? Didn't a ranger start the Haymen Fire? We don't even know a smoker started the fire, be careful everyone.

LOL. Okay, let me say it with another angle. ---> If you see the arsonist that is up in that area, then would it apply?

As a volunteer firefighter, I may be a bit more sensitive to this kind of thing, more so than the average smoker such as MntOwl may be (only reason I can think of him for sticking up for smokers in the mountains when there is a state wide fire ban. Nothing against smokers in general (I used to smoke too), just ones out in the mountains tossing butts, especially in a fire ban.

---So far our station hasn't been called out (I'm in Fremont county), but we feel it is only a matter of time till our woods flare up.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 pm

If you see the arsonist that is up in that area....

....toss 'em in the fire, since they seem to enjoy it.

Postby moneymike » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 pm

tmathews wrote:It's raining ash in parts of the Springs this morning... It's almost post-apocalyptic. I'm reading on Twitter that 4 of 6 sectors that the City of Manitou Springs divided itself into for this fire are being evacuated -- 7,000 people. I also read that the Cog Railway sent a special train to pick up hikers stranded on Pikes Peak yesterday. Any forum members live in Manitou or the west side of the Springs? You're in my thoughts! :shock: :(

I slept in a bit this morning and when I went out to walk the dogs, Manitou was like a ghost town. My first thought, naturally, was zombie apocalypse but dissapointingly it was due to the fire evacuation. Not having a tele or internet (or a girlfriend who gets up at a reasonable hour), I'm late to know everything. But not to worry, everyone, I was able to escape with everything of importance to me: three pairs of skis, other ski and hiking gear, dogs, and my vodka.

P.S. you're in my thoughts too tmathews :wink:

Postby timstich » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

You will be able to reenter Mantiou Springs by 8PM tonight, Sunday the 24th from what the text updates are saying.

Postby Summit Stomper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:29 pm

I wonder if 24 will be opened from Woodland Park to Springs? If not, I wonder if you can come down through Gold Camp Rd or if Canyon City and around will have to do?
Teeth to the wind!

Postby Nightwolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Forest Services and Fire Services have been suggesting Canyon City as the alternative Route instead of Highway-24.

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Some interesting helicopter video of the fire from a Denver TV station. They don't say when this was shot, but probably this afternoon sometime.
http://kdvr.com/2012/06/24/raw-video-skyfox-at-the-waldo-canyon-fire/
You can see US 24, the Waldo Canyon trailhead, and the Rampart Range road on the east and north sides of the fire. Frankly, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I would have expected - most of the territory that's burned is grassy mountainsides, and most of the pinons and junipers that cover the south-facing slopes may very well survive this.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Andy_Lyon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:58 pm

I'd like to agree but was hiking on pikes peak when it started and watched too many trees torch. And we lots more hot days in the forecast. This fight ain't over yet.

Postby Jerousek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I read that they're letting folks back into Manitou. If the smoke isn't too awful tomorrow, think access to the incline will be open?

Speaking of the smoke, how bad do you think it would be for the lungs to go jogging/hiking in this? Do we have to be indoor animals for now?
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Jerousek wrote:I read that they're letting folks back into Manitou. If the smoke isn't too awful tomorrow, think access to the incline will be open?

Really -- is that what you're f***ing worrying about right now?? Get your priorities straight. I have friends who STILL can't get to their homes. :x

PreviousNext