Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Treasure Fire (Leadville)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire northeast of Leadville

Postby Katherineanne98 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 am

Just came home from a night shift in Vail... The train is still sitting above the straight away just south of Climax (mile 10ish?), looking abandoned and sad. I've never ridden it to know the path, but it isn't too close to the fire where it sits now. The whole valley into town is just full of smoke this morning. Still a deputy guarding the access road. To think about the amount of smoke in Leadville, and what High Park must be creating, is unreal.

First post! : )

Postby My-Therapy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:05 am

We were near the area yesterday hiking Drift peak from Mayflower Gulch. I remember talking to the people in my group about how hot and dry it was at the elevation we were at and how it seemed so unusual. Areas that had snow in Mayflower Gulch last year in the 3 rd week of July had nothing this year. Sad to see our beautiful state covered in such a smoky haze from all of the fires right now.

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:56 am

We were camped up at Mosquito Pass and literally watched the fire go from very small to quite large in just a couple hours. The Lake County Sheriff closed the roads up there and kicked everyone out, it is very close to the course that the Leadville Trail Marathon runs on, hope we can still race next weekend...

Postby Fisching » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:11 am

RJansen77 wrote:We were camped up at Mosquito Pass and literally watched the fire go from very small to quite large in just a couple hours. The Lake County Sheriff closed the roads up there and kicked everyone out, it is very close to the course that the Leadville Trail Marathon runs on, hope we can still race next weekend...

I hope so too. That would suck!!!
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:26 am

Just to give a little better idea of where this fire is burning as of last night...

FYI - The leadville scenic train does run in that area and is stopped on the north side of the fire. From talking to locals in the area, it sounds like there were people on the train and it had to be evacuated.

Last edited by Magnum420 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:34 am

I saw on fb that some ladies (or girlz) from this site were hitting lightning speeds on Mosquito/Treasurvault/Tweto/EvansB/probably Repeater too, so maybe it was the sparks off of their shoes 'sparking' the fire. Even more interesting, is that one of those ladies, I mean girlz, posted about this fire. :-k

Thanks for the map, Magnum. The circle is the fire area I assume?

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 am

Yep, circle is the fire. I added another map showing it a little better. I'm headed down that way for some fishing at Clinton Res, I'll check out the fire and update the maps if anything has changed since last night.

EDIT ---- The fire circles on those maps are approximate from how it looked from where I was watching it along hwy91, but it should be close.

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Just got back from that area and it looked alot better than it did yesterday. I didnt even take any pictures because there wasnt much to take pictures of. It grew to 300acres but there was very little smoke compared to yesterady. There were also some thunderstorms in the area and its raining in summit county as I type this. Not sure how long it will last but any rain is good rain right now.

Postby Craig Cook » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Magnum420 wrote:Just got back from that area and it looked alot better than it did yesterday. I didnt even take any pictures because there wasnt much to take pictures of. It grew to 300acres but there was very little smoke compared to yesterady. There were also some thunderstorms in the area and its raining in summit county as I type this. Not sure how long it will last but any rain is good rain right now.

That's great news, all things considered. Hopefully between the rain and firefighters, this can be put out, or at least contained.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby bergsteigen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

d_baker wrote:I saw on fb that some ladies (or girlz) from this site were hitting lightning speeds on Mosquito/Treasurvault/Tweto/EvansB/probably Repeater too, so maybe it was the sparks off of their shoes 'sparking' the fire. Even more interesting, is that one of those ladies, I mean girlz, posted about this fire. :-k

I'm not sure we're that fast to start a fire, but we are that HOT! \:D/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:36 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
d_baker wrote:I saw on fb that some ladies (or girlz) from this site were hitting lightning speeds on Mosquito/Treasurvault/Tweto/EvansB/probably Repeater too, so maybe it was the sparks off of their shoes 'sparking' the fire. Even more interesting, is that one of those ladies, I mean girlz, posted about this fire. :-k

I'm not sure we're that fast to start a fire, but we are that HOT! \:D/

Well played....

Postby SolarAlex » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:17 pm

saw it today from 24 and it didnt look too big...there was smoke but not as much as in the pictures on the first page of the thread....there was a helicopter sitting near where all the firefighters were staging.

PreviousNext