Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Treasure Fire (Leadville)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire northeast of Leadville

Postby MountainHiker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:50 pm

We did London & Evans B today, so we saw the fire in its early stages. We were on the summit of Evans B around 11:15 so it was in our direct view late morning. This morning it wasn’t big enough we knew it was a wild fire. We naively thought maybe one of the mining companies was burning something nasty. By the time we got back to the Jeep I could see smoke coming over the ridge. As we drove out the road we came to a Police vehicle blocking the road. He wasn’t letting anyone proceed up Mosquito Pass. I’ll post a picture or two soon.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby MountainHiker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:11 pm

We didn’t get any direct pictures of the fire. Viewing from Mosquito Pass, we could see it was north of Leadville and on the slopes of the Mosquito Range.

This picture was taken from the start of the Mosquito Pass road just south of Alma around 3:15.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Rcizzle » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Word is that there forest FMO ordered a type 1 team. They are worried it can go big.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Postby bergsteigen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Just drove past it. Looks suspiciously like a passing train started it. There are a bunch of firefighters getting ready at an access road.

Postby mtngrlmb » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:33 pm

We saw the fire about 2pm as we headed north out of Leadville on 24 toward Copper. I'm not great with distances but it was about halfway between Leadville and the Climax mine on the east side of 24, I would say about a mile maybe more from 24. We could see flames leaping in the air from the burning trees - sad and distressing.

My boyfriend was doing a training run for the Leadville Marathon today, they are saying they have closed both sides of Mosquito Pass, I would imagine if they don't get the fire under control they will have to reroute the marathon or maybe cancel it.

Postby Craig Cook » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Looking online at the weather, it's showing storms in Leadville tomorrow through Wednesday. Hopefully that rain shows up and helps get this put out.

Postby SKIBREC » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Was on the summit of peak 8 around 2 pm today just looked at my pics at the summit looking towards leadville and climax mine...no smoke in the pics..........that fire must have taken off like crazy.....ashes and smoke in and around Breck at the momment....will be on summit of democrat and lincoln very early tomorrow morning....will take a look from there
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:17 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Just drove past it. Looks suspiciously like a passing train started it. There are a bunch of firefighters getting ready at an access road.

A train makes sense to me
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby colokeith » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:31 pm

This was about 5:30 PM. There was a choper and several fire units on scene
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby GeezerClimber » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 pm

The D&RG route over Tennessee pass was abandoned many years ago. What trains are people talking about? We saw the plume this afternoon from Turquoise lake area.

Dave

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 pm

I think the Leadville scenic train runs in that area.

Next