Dog on Quandary West Ridge?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog on Quandary West Ridge?

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I'm going to continue pushing the question, why did you bother asking when you're only interested in the 'right answer'? You can get killed by rocks kicked down by humans, dogs, mountain goats...whatever. I know one of those three have learned to be pretty conscious about knocking down rocks, the other two probably never notice.

Take your dog up, it sounds like you plan to anyways so why bother continuing this conversation?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

WinterKlondike wrote:
norseman wrote:I have two 80 pound labs, well behaved and trained. I draw the line at class 2 hikes. They prefer not having humans kick rocks down on them, they told me so.
love it! =D>
I mean this completely respectfully. Your peak list reflects that you have done seven of the easiest 14ers. Have you considered whether you should be on the West Ridge at this point?

I'm no Messner, but I have climbed it, and it is a place where you could get hurt without a dog.

I would not have wanted to contend with a dog while I was climbing it.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
WinterKlondike
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WinterKlondike »

DeucesWild wrote:
WinterKlondike wrote:
norseman wrote:I have two 80 pound labs, well behaved and trained. I draw the line at class 2 hikes. They prefer not having humans kick rocks down on them, they told me so.
love it! =D>
I mean this completely respectfully. Your peak list reflects that you have done seven of the easiest 14ers. Have you considered whether you should be on the West Ridge at this point?

I'm no Messner, but I have climbed it, and it is a place where you could get hurt without a dog.

I would not have wanted to contend with a dog while I was climbing it.
Just because i've only climbed a handful of colorado fourteeners does not mean I don't have experience.
- It's not the number of breaths you take but rather the moments that take your breath away.
WinterKlondike
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WinterKlondike »

ChrisRoberts wrote:I'm going to continue pushing the question, why did you bother asking when you're only interested in the 'right answer'? You can get killed by rocks kicked down by humans, dogs, mountain goats...whatever. I know one of those three have learned to be pretty conscious about knocking down rocks, the other two probably never notice.

Take your dog up, it sounds like you plan to anyways so why bother continuing this conversation?
I asked whether I could bring my dog up it and everyone who has brought their dog said yes and everyone who hadn't brought their dog said no. I'm not picking and choosing answers, I'm taking all the legitimate ones into consideration, and i'm ignoring the rude and demeaning ones.
- It's not the number of breaths you take but rather the moments that take your breath away.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

WinterKlondike wrote:i'm ignoring the rude and demeaning ones.
AKA statements that do not correspond to what I want to believe as true.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
WinterKlondike
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WinterKlondike »

metalmountain wrote:
WinterKlondike wrote:i'm ignoring the rude and demeaning ones.
AKA statements that do not correspond to what I want to believe as true.
WOW some people need to get over themselves. How can you possibly know what I am doing and thinking?
Waggs
14ers: 26  2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Waggs »

WinterKlondike wrote:
How can you possibly know what I am doing and thinking?

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Waggs wrote:
WinterKlondike wrote:
How can you possibly know what I am doing and thinking?

Waggs
HA!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

I don't mean to interupt this amazing dialogue, but, didn't we at one time have a special forum for topics called "Dogs, Guns and Politics" or something like that? Hmmm? Cuz those topics usually tend to degenerate into dicotmetic tirades!
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

eagrnnr wrote:Remember, if you, or if your dog, kicks loose rock onto people in a Class 3 environment, someone can very quickly wind up dead. You're not the only one on the route, remember that.
I agree completely
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

WinterKlondike wrote:
eagrnnr wrote:Remember, if you, or if your dog, kicks loose rock onto people in a Class 3 environment, someone can very quickly wind up dead. You're not the only one on the route, remember that.
Not to be rude but that is not really relevant to the question because humans are just as capable of kicking rocks as dogs are. I've been in many class 3/4/5 environments by myself and with my dog and I know the protocols.
Which 5th class CLIMBS would that be that your dog has climbed/you have hauled him up?
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

WinterKlondike's question was a very reasonable question to ask. I was wondering the exact same thing just a couple days ago. I ended up taking a dog and my girlfriend up the east ridge yesterday because I decided neither one of them were up for the west ridge.

Pay no attention to the people whining about dog induced rock fall. They're not trying to give you advice to help with your decision, they're just announcing their contempt for dogs climbing above them. In my opinion, if someone is unwilling to deal with the possibility of rock fall due to dogs (or people, or mountain goats, or marmots, or naturally occuring, or whatever), that person should not be in the mountains.

It seems like you know your dog's abilities and also have your dog's best intentions in mind. That being the case, I believe most of us are on your side and that the naysayers are in the minority. Don't be affraid to take your dog on adventures just because of a few crab apples.

I hope you have a fun and safe trip, and maybe type up an educational TR for those of us who like to take our dogs.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."