Dog on Quandary West Ridge?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dog on Quandary West Ridge?

Post by metalmountain »

gone_skiing wrote:I do get a kick outta these forums a lot. I gotta say, I read them daily for two reasons: see if there's snow anywhere, and read the drama. I have a yellow lab, and I found his limit 2 weeks ago. But I wouldn't have found out unless I took him. Yeah it was a pain in the ass to go get him but I knew the possibility getting into it. Now I know when he can come and when to leave him. I'm getting a kick reading how much your dog is going to kill someone. Not knowing the rules....I haven't taught my dog how to put on his seatbelt in the truck yet but I still take him for rides. I say you might be okay, just use your best judgment. Worst case you turn around. I can't imagine you're as dumb as half these people make you sound.

What isn't cool as when those limits are found at the expense of other people. Obviously that didn't happen to you, but it has and does happen.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
WinterKlondike
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WinterKlondike »

metalmountain wrote:
gone_skiing wrote:I do get a kick outta these forums a lot. I gotta say, I read them daily for two reasons: see if there's snow anywhere, and read the drama. I have a yellow lab, and I found his limit 2 weeks ago. But I wouldn't have found out unless I took him. Yeah it was a pain in the ass to go get him but I knew the possibility getting into it. Now I know when he can come and when to leave him. I'm getting a kick reading how much your dog is going to kill someone. Not knowing the rules....I haven't taught my dog how to put on his seatbelt in the truck yet but I still take him for rides. I say you might be okay, just use your best judgment. Worst case you turn around. I can't imagine you're as dumb as half these people make you sound.

What isn't cool as when those limits are found at the expense of other people. Obviously that didn't happen to you, but it has and does happen.
I grew up where you had to know what you were doing to climb mountains. Stupid tourists (and locals) climb Colorado peaks all the time, and they are just as likely, if not more likely, to put other people in danger than my dog, who I can control. I obviously started a heated discussion here, which was not my intent at all. gone_skiing: thanks for the vote of confidence!
- It's not the number of breaths you take but rather the moments that take your breath away.
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

WinterKlondike wrote:
metalmountain wrote:

I grew up where you had to know what you were doing to climb mountains. Stupid tourists (and locals) climb Colorado peaks all the time, and they are just as likely, if not more likely, to put other people in danger than my dog, who I can control. I obviously started a heated discussion here, which was not my intent at all. gone_skiing: thanks for the vote of confidence!
Why would ask for opinions if you really only wanted someone to agree with you? Anyway...I didn't even say it was a bad idea to take your dog up there, but you must have missed the entire other page of posts where I said you could probably get your dog up the west ridge. I'm glad you grew up near the mountains, you must have infinite more knowledge on all things mountain related due to osmosis.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

metalmountain wrote:Why would ask for opinions if you really only wanted someone to agree with you?
Nothing better than that for getting the validation you need to justify doing something stupid.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
eagrnnr
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eagrnnr »

WinterKlondike wrote:
metalmountain wrote:

As opposed to today, when nobody knows what they're doing? Just because you know what to do doesn't ensure against bad things happening. I'd argue Rob Hall knew what he was doing on Everest, still died. I'd argue a lot of people who die in the mountains knew what they were doing. You can control where your dog puts its paws? That's what I mean when someone might get hurt from your dog. It's not intentional, but the outcome would be the same.

You seem to have made up your mind, so either way I wish you both safe travels and hopefully a beautiful summit day!
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

How many of the people advising against bringing the dog have taken one up that route...? I have taken a dog up it, one who had barely been on a hike before, and she did just fine (it was the humans who struggled that day). If you are opposed to the principle of bringing a dog up class three or 14ers, that's fine, but as far as class three routes go this one is perfectly doable for a dog. And, as has been mentioned, most of the tougher terrain is traversing the ridge, minimizing the chances for the dog to create rockfall.

*Edit to clarify that our dog wasn't "untrained," but was inexperienced in the mountains.
Last edited by JB99 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

My best advice to the OP is to ignore the dudes on here saying the same thing (same dudes too) over and over, about how dogs are a danger to others, would you be able to rescue them, blah blah blah. Completely lame arguments, and just go with your assessment of your dog's abilities on this kind of terrain. I've hiked such terrain with two separate dogs (friends dogs) and they were more than fine. Built in 4WD and man's best friend. A good combination. That all being said, another pal of mine lost a dog in the wilderness, very sad event.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

climbing_rob wrote:My best advice to the OP is to ignore the dudes on here saying the same thing (same dudes too) over and over, about how dogs are a danger to others, would you be able to rescue them, blah blah blah. Completely lame arguments, and just go with your assessment of your dog's abilities on this kind of terrain. I've hiked such terrain with two separate dogs (friends dogs) and they were more than fine. Built in 4WD and man's best friend. A good combination. That all being said, another pal of mine lost a dog in the wilderness, very sad event.
That's sad to hear about your friend's pup. Do mind sharing how this happened? I completely understand if you don't, but I think it's good to know so others don't make the same mistake (if it was even preventable).

I'm very careful on what routes we bring our dog; I'd be shattered if anything happened to him because of a sitaution I put him in. Not to mention my better half likes him more than me and would probably kill me.
norseman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by norseman »

I have two 80 pound labs, well behaved and trained. I draw the line at class 2 hikes. They prefer not having humans kick rocks down on them, they told me so.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
- Edward Abbey
WinterKlondike
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WinterKlondike »

norseman wrote:I have two 80 pound labs, well behaved and trained. I draw the line at class 2 hikes. They prefer not having humans kick rocks down on them, they told me so.
love it! =D>
- It's not the number of breaths you take but rather the moments that take your breath away.
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

WinterKlondike wrote:
norseman wrote:I have two 80 pound labs, well behaved and trained. I draw the line at class 2 hikes. They prefer not having humans kick rocks down on them, they told me so.
love it! =D>
The person basically just said they didn't think you should take your dog up class 3.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

norseman wrote:I have two 80 pound labs, well behaved and trained. I draw the line at class 2 hikes.
Good call. Old people, and big, clumsy dogs should stay where they're safe.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!