Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moose

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Moose

Postby gdthomas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:08 am

We are grateful to have seen a moose on monday crossing the road a mile below the American Basin TH for Handies.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:11 am

That's really sad! :( I love moosies.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby prestone818 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 am

i have yet to see any fun wildlife in colorado. i got to maroon bells parking lot at 2AM one morning and walked out to the lake for a few minutes. as i was walking back to the lot in the dark i could see the faint shadow of a large animal about 15 ft away by the bathrooms. scared the crap out of me but couldnt figure out if it was a moose or an elk.

Postby prestone818 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 am

i was in moose, wyoming last year and saw tons of them. who ever named that town wasnt very creative lol

Postby Vids » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 am

I've seen quite a few while elk or deer hunting, none have been aggressive. One fall we ran into a mature bull raking a tree and groaning (typical rutting behavior), he probably would have charged but he never saw us, we got within 100 yards behind him then got the heck out of there. That was a cool experience though.

The two situations you need to watch out for the most are a cow with a calf, and a bull during the rut (fall breeding season). The bull that the OP showed a picture of would be unlikely to be aggressive this time of year. He has nothing to protect, and no reason to assert dominance. Also, when their antlers are in velvet they are very sensitive so they wouldn't charge anything with those, they could still stomp you though.

I agree with the tactics mentioned above, find a tree to keep between you and the moose if you can or roll into a ball. I have one friend that successfully did the tree dance a few years ago and came away unharmed by the angry momma.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am

Last Friday night we saw a moose and 2 calves while driving up Mosquito Pass road. It was our first sighting of a moose in Colorado. We didn’t get real close because we didn’t want to spook them. They turned and trotted off in the opposite direction, so we keep driving real slow. They turned into the bushes. When we passed that spot all we could see was the butt of one of the calves. With their long legs and big bodies they are built for smashing through thick brush.

By coincidence we also had our first Colorado bear sightings. Traffic was basically stopped in both directions while driving past the Bailey Cop Shop. There were a couple bears above the station on the hillside.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby HighCountry » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 am

I've seen moose a few times (not enough). The last time was only two or three weeks ago. I was hiking along an old jeep road when a moose crossed the road behind me (a jeep was coming), and a few minutes later it passed the same road in front of me. It moved too quickly to get a shot, even with my camera at my side, but it was cool to see.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.

Postby unclegar » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

We saw a moose on the way back from Evans on the "willowLESS" trail about a week and a half ago. I have also seen a moose twice when in my car driving back to Hwy. 7 from the Longs Peak East TH.

Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans Moose 061612.jpg
Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans Moose 061612.jpg (286.15 KiB) Viewed 312 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby jpfeif001 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:32 am

I saw a moose in the water on the Bierstadt trail last fall, tons of hikers and it never seemed to be bothered by any of them, it just did its thing. Saw another one in RMNP about a month after that. None this year yet, I was up fishing at Baker a few days after the young moose was trapped in the skate park which is right there next to the water. They are powerful critters that I wouldn't want to tangle with. Very beautiful though.
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:51 am

I saw this guy at Fern Lake on Sunday. He didn't seem interested in me at all, but I still kept my distance. This was the first time I'd seen a moose on that side of the park... I saw six on the west side, near Grand Lake, a few months ago.

As was mentioned on another thread, the smoke from all the recent fires has created an unusual amount of "animal activity." I saw coyotes in the park this weekend, and last week there was a bear running down my street.
Attachments
Moose 1.jpg
Moose 1.jpg (177.47 KiB) Viewed 291 times

Postby PaliKona » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 am

I just saw these two last Thursday on Long Lake in IPW, on my bday!
Attachments
.facebook_534858281.jpg
.facebook_534858281.jpg (167.13 KiB) Viewed 287 times

Postby CORed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:31 pm

A few years ago in Lead King Basin, at about 9:00 am, I had just started up the trail to Geneva lake, when I heard a "whuff" and a young bull moose (full size but fairly small antlers) who had been lying flat in tall vegetation right next to the trail lifted up his head not more than 20 feet in front of me, then got up and ran away. I'm pretty sure I interrupted his morning nap. I had no idea he was there until he exhaled and lifted his head.

PreviousNext