Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moose

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Moose

Postby milan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:02 pm

I met five moose in Colorado, two in Sawatch, two on Jacques Peak and one in Brainard Lake. The Brainard Lake was the closest, I was hunting for mushrooms behind some lake and went through thick bushes and small spruce trees and suddenly heard that "pfff" noise and realized, the moose was about 10 feet far looking at me and not happy. I simply backtracked into the bush and was OK.

Postby Nicole and Zoe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Summit Stomper - I was living in Alaska when that moose attack happened too. Not long after that I was charged leaving my house. I didn't notice the moose out front and apparently it was stressed over finding itself in a cul-de-sac so when I got to the bottom of the front steps it ran past about a foot in front of me. I was 12 and remember my mom saying she never could have imagined she'd be writing "please excuse my daughter for being late. She was charged by a moose in the yard." :lol:
Mountains are home.

Postby Summit Stomper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:19 pm

One time when we lived in Alaska, a pretty big bull was in our yard and I wanted to take some pics. It was winter and the available food supply was getting low for the moose. My son came out and climbed a nearby spruce tree to watch, he was around 12 years old. When the moose heard his voice coming from higher in the tree, the bull charged up to the tree and started striking the tree vigerously for awhile. I told me son that he should probably stay right where he was for awhile!l

One other time we were on a walk with a couple of other families that has small children. This was on a remote 4 wheeler hunting/mining trail. We were a few miles back in there. The men and older kids were more in the front of the group and all of a sudden I saw a movement quickly approaching from my right coming down the hill through the trees. I first thought, bear, but then we realized it was a cow moose. She charged right up to all of us in a very threatening manner. We scrambled for the trees like crazy and told everyone to get to the trees and fast. This moose would not move and wouldn't let us by. Finally my son and one of the other adult males took off running from tree to tree and off to the side towards a creek to see if they could draw her off. She followed them through the trees for a long time very close. I got the "women folk" and kids and we quickly retreated down the trail back towards the cars. Then I told them to get in the trees if they saw the moose again. I headed back to see how my son and the other guy was doing. They finally emerged from the trees with quite the story of how she harrassed them all the way.

We found out later from some 4 wheelers coming out a while later that they had been somewhat chased by a cow also. Then they found out why. Her calf had gotten stuck in a water mud hole and died. She was still thinking that she was protecting her baby. It was sad and yet scarey all at the same time. They are very big when standing next to you!
Teeth to the wind!

Postby jeffCC » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 pm

I did a car camping trip w/ my mom up and down the Rockies about 15 years ago.

Outside of Glacier NP, a grizzly came through camp and sniffed the tent right next to my head. Terrifying.

In Wyoming, an irate (wounded ?) bear sat in the bushes behind my tent howling/groaning (?) for 20 minutes before I had a clear shot to jump through the tent door, over the picnic table, and into the van in one un-interrupted motion. Also terrifying.

Back in northern Colorado, I was setting up camp with a very "watchful eye", as you can imagine. What should wander out of the woods but a moose. TBH, I was kinda pissed. If I *have* to be maimed or killed by a wild animal, I at least want it to be something dignified and respectable like a bear or mountain lion. But a moose ? (A moose with no horns !!!) That's just friggin' ridiculous. Its like getting beat up by a clown.

Postby aaronmojica » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE MOOSE! While i have no firsthand experience with wild moose, i did read a collection of survival stories put out by Outdoor Life. Getting lost, attacked by grizzlies, backcountry injuries paled when compared to moose attacks. One poor hunter walked into three bulls fighting, they all turned on him, he emptied his high power rifle and still got thoroughly stomped.

Postby DoWork » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Saw a moose in the road on Guanella Pass from the G-Town side last month...started running up the road for quite some time.

Postby MtnHub » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:32 pm

I've never encountered a moose in CO, but it was a regular occurrence whenever I hiked in the Tetons. My experience was they were always very shy and non-threatening for the most part, even the bulls. As long as I never forced myself on them, they just casually watched me pass by.

One time I was hiking along a less popular trail which skirted around a very steep slope. I rounded the bend and was head to head with a cow who I think was just as surprised to see me as I was her. I was no further than 8-10 feet in front of her and we each just froze in our tracks and stared at each other. The narrow path was cut into the slope and was only about 4 feet wide. To climb out of her way on the steep slope on my left would have been very slow and difficult. The slope on my right dropped very sharply into thick brush.

I didn't feel good about just retreating and keeping her to my blind backside, so I just merely leaned into the slope on my left to offer as much of the trail to her as I could so she could pass me by. I also talked to her in a soft, friendly, gentle tone. She seemed to also contemplate her options, but finally she went off the trail and down into the brush to avoid me. In spite of how thick the brush was, she moved very quickly and seemingly effortlessly.

The only time I felt threatened by a bull was when I stupidly walked into a thick forest where he was hiding so I could get a better picture of him. When I got too close he took two steps toward me to challenge me. That's when I decided I didn't need that shot anyway. But I agree, you are not going to outrun a moose. Their legs are so long they just skim above the underbrush so easily.

Postby upndown » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:07 pm

We had a moose break out our kitchen window when I lived in Alaska. My mom was simmering some vegetable soup - heard a loud crash and found a pot of soup all over the floor. We got to the back door in time to see the moose running away at a full gallop from the back yard. Another encounter - a large bull attacked our 1967 red mustang convertible that was parked in front of the house. Completely shredded the rag top. Something about the color red is what Alaska F&G told us. Yes, they are unpredictable.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Postby oldnews » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 am

Last year in RMNP my wife and I were walking back to the parking lot at the Holzwarth Historic Site when a park employee came walking out to meet us. I could see a moose in the little creek right by the bathrooms so we stopped at 50 yards out and let the employee come to us. She said it was not just a cow, but a cow and calf, apparently a real nightmare situation for the workers. It was amazing to see how much trouble about a half-dozen park employees were having keeping people back. One old guy who had a hard walking from his car to the creek got angry when they stopped him from scaling a rail fence to get closer then 50 feet.

All at once the calf came up out of the creek, spotted the three of us and made a beeline in our direction to see what we were. We immediately began to head the other direction but then the cow came up out of the creek making warning noises to the calf or us. The only marginal safety anywhere close was a small fallen tree so we all got behind it and stood very still. Luckily the calf lost interest and veered off about 25 feet from us and they both went into the willows farther away.

It was a tense situation, but what kept running through my mind as we retreated was the tourists and all the video cameras being trained on us. The last thing in the world I wanted was to be sitting in a hospital bed explaining to Matt Lauer what it is like to be stomped by a moose while they endlessly played amateur clips of the event from a dozen different angles.

Postby Kruck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:26 am

There were an additional 20 grizz verified as distinct individuals by MT FWP since last fall in and around town here, so the wife and I keep bear spray on when we go deep into the BC. While I've never had to deploy it for moose, a FWP biologist I met says go ahead, spray works on moose, cats, bears, the Unibomber, everything.
Moose I see, even up close, don't tend to be too interested in people either way, but I still keep a sharp eye on them.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby peter303 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 am

I saw a couple Moose in the creek by Silverthorne a couple years ago.

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 am

If you're at the skatepark, just get out of the bowl.

Young moose stuck in Nederland skate park dies after being tranquilized
20120620__moosemore_500.jpg
20120620__moosemore_500.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 541 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

PreviousNext