Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Highest Skiing

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Highest Skiing

Postby Bullwinkle » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:55 am

BTW, if anyone is interested in what appears to be the world's highest skiing, I think that would be at Chacaltaya in Bolivia, not too far from La Paz. The city is at about 3,600m, the airport at 4,100m, the ski area at about 5,000 meters, and the top of the mountain (easy hike up) at about 5,600m. It is an impressively wild place. Not sure if it has changed since I was there, but the only assist up the mountain for skiers used to be a 3-point rope tow, driven by the back wheel of an old car in a shed. Pretty spartan accomodations--just a small A-frame to get warm and for snacks. We took a 6-wheel drive Volvo "Goer" up the rocky access road, but it is do-able w/4WD. There are impressive mountains close by that go way past 6,000m.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby rlw49 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks, out of the way place. Haven't heard of this area

My turn to play Scott P. Highest skiing is actually Mt Everest, though the lift ticket is a little pricey.

Eldora can be pretty high when the Rasta's are there. Sorry, I already apologize for that one.

Postby KUfiredancer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:12 pm

warren miller did a segment in one of his movies on chacaltaya (sp?). i think it was in "endless winter". check it out if you are interested in seeing exactly what the place is like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacaltaya
http://www.travelsur.net/ski/Chacaltaya.htm