Dogs on Wilson Peak?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vallejoclmbr
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Dogs on Wilson Peak?

Post by vallejoclmbr »

Climbing Wilson Peak this Sat. and I'm considering taking my dog who's done about 9 14ers (including Sneffles), but I don't know if this class 3 is going to be too difficult to negotiate for him (and for me with him along).

Has anyone done Wilson Peak with a dog? I'm kind of leaning against this idea right now
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on Wilson Peak?

Post by DeucesWild »

vallejoclmbr wrote:Climbing Wilson Peak this Sat. and I'm considering taking my dog who's done about 9 14ers (including Sneffles), but I don't know if this class 3 is going to be too difficult to negotiate for him (and for me with him along).

Has anyone done Wilson Peak with a dog? I'm kind of leaning against this idea right now
Lean completely against it.

The final push to the summit is a bad place for poochie. And anyone below him...
Last edited by DeucesWild on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Post by RJansen77 »

I definitely wouldn't bring a dog up Wilson Peak if I were you. Not only is the rock incredibly loose, but a lot of it is broken in sharp shards, which may be unpleasant for a dog to walk on. We were up there over Memorial Day, and there were several spots on the trail where it was almost impossible to not cause a small rock avalanche when you stepped.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

When I did Peak someone took a dog up and left the dog at the obvious big notch before the summit. Felt bad for the dog but there was no way he could climb up that terrain (and get down).

Rope and harness???

Stay safe.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

I take my dog on every peak I can, but I would not take him up Wilson or any of the others in that group. There are several places that are potentially deadly or painful for your dog, especially when he has to jump back down drops in very steep spots.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

My golden retriever Rainier has been up Wilson a few times with me but obviously wouldn't recommend it to the inexperienced K9 & owner. Get some easier class 3 scramblin under your pup's belt first.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Rainier is an above average pup on the mountain though (and off I'm sure). Never have I met a better listening dog than Rainier on Crestone Peak.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Thanks Jesse.
vallejoclmbr
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by vallejoclmbr »

Thanks everyone for all the good beta. Definitely think I'm going to have to leave Buddy behind on this one. jbchalk would love to find out what peaks you've taken your dog on. Is there a forum or thread out there that's got good info on which peaks are appropriate and which aren't?

thanks again
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

I just remebered now that last year while climbing Wilson Pk we encountered bloody tracks (looked like dog tracks) all the way down to Rock of Ages trailhead. We felt sorry for the poor animal who probably was suffering all the way down, those rocks are super-sharp, I would not take a dog.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.