Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby 14erkid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:47 pm

My avatar is me backpacking near Deer Mesa in north New Mexico. My signature is something I try to live by, and I like Warren Miller.
"Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."
-Warren Miller

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

I spend a lot of time west of Buena Vista in the Sawatch Range. That's all. :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby JeffR » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:10 pm

My avatar is a self-portrait, duh!
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm

My avatar is basically my screen name. Lynxes are one of my favorite animals, along with cheetahs and leopards. I think "SilverLynx" is a fitting moniker for a Colorado hiker because lynxes are native to Colorado and they dwell in the mountains. They also have huge feet - a trait I proudly share with them. I change my avatar often, though, and a lot of times it will be a pic of my face or me doing something goofy.

Although my signature changes frequently, the current quote comes from my love of cats, who obviously must be the most intelligent creatures if they can make humans feed and house them for no tangible form of payment. :D Cats have showed me the meaning of unconditional love, the meaning of a best friend, and a cat watched over me once when I was very sick as a kid. They are protectors and loving companions, and mine are always there to show affection when I return from hiking. A house is not a home without cats (or dogs, for that matter).

The list of 14ers is obvious - I'm trying to give others an idea of my summer/fall hiking plans so I can potentially meet new hiking partners or re-unite with familiar partners for some designated peaks.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby DeucesWild » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 pm

My avatar is a copy of a tattoo on my ass that I got in celebration of making it past two decades. I hope to eventually wind up with a straight flush, at least.

Although maybe I didn't leave quite enough room. Others may disagree with that.

Guess it all depends on what angle you see it from.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby killstorm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Mine is a tiny snowman I came across wandering around the back streets of Tokyo after a snowfall. I just like his little plastic arms held up triumphantly.

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:38 pm

DeucesWild wrote:My avatar is a copy of a tattoo on my ass that I got in celebration of making it past two decades. I hope to eventually wind up with a straight flush, at least.

Although maybe I didn't leave quite enough room. Others may disagree with that.

Guess it all depends on what angle you see it from.

If you run out of room for tattoos there, just eat lots of McDonald's and Krispy Kreme - bam, instant tattoo space on ass. :lol:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:46 pm

My present avatar, (June 2012), is me kayaking off a small drop into a nice munchy hole on the Arkansas River here in Colorado last year, (five points area). It was high water (~4000 cfs) so it looks mean, but flushed me instantly. I tend to change my avatar from time to time, so there is a chance that if you are looking at this in 2013 or later, if my be something else entirely.

My signiture is just a quote from some old guy who's books should be required reading.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 am

dswink wrote:My avatar and signature are self-explanatory if you watch Big Bang Theory, and speak Spanish.

Indeed. Mine is pretty self-explanatory if you watch South Park, particularly season 6.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 am

For a brighter tomorrow with less crime, more happiness and larger cookies...vote Cookie Monster. 2012.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby GregMiller » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 am

This thread actually reminded me that I didn't have an avatar up, so I decided to post my usual: Caribou with a Santa hat! This actually hangs in the stairwell in my parent's house, and we always put a Santa hat on it for Christmas. I guess the theme is "Absurdly Alaskan".
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Tjohn67238 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 am

My avatar is me at the top of Mt Sherman, July 2011. I chose it because it reflects something I greatly enjoy – taking on a memorable outdoors challenge that stands out against the safe, conventional routines of everyday life.

PreviousNext