Wildlife

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Re: Wildlife

Post by Greenhouseguy »

If two squirrels in Texas are having sex, does that make them cousins?
d_baker wrote:Extreme Sex

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Probably.
But I actually took that picture from my deck in Manitou!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

tmathews wrote:Saw this little critter in the Sangres on Saturday as it slithered away. Anyone know what kind it is? I'm thinking a bull snake, but I'm not sure.

Click on the photo for the full-size image. I don't know if it will help identify it or not.
Yep, bull snake. You can tell from the shape of the head, being the same width as the body, that it's not a viper.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Golden eagle along the Mt. Sanitas trail in Boulder, Xmas eve, 2011:
Eagle_small.jpg
Eagle_small.jpg (150.88 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
Vinegaroon
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

Quandary, August 2011
close up.jpg
close up.jpg (298.1 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
Vinegaroon
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

Uncompahgre Peak, August 2010
Fox.jpg
Fox.jpg (221.66 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
Vinegaroon
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

Mt Sneffels, August 2010
marmot.jpg
marmot.jpg (286.25 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Vinegaroon
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

Handies, August 2010
weaselsm.jpg
weaselsm.jpg (283.3 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

WOW! Vinegaroon, all of your shots are awesome! JimR.....astonishing you got that close. =D>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimR
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Mark Curtis wrote:WOW! Vinegaroon, all of your shots are awesome! JimR.....astonishing you got that close. =D>
A friend who knows birds pointed out that his head feathers were ruffled, probably due to his annoyance at my proximity. Also, a zoom lens helps.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

JimR wrote:
Mark Curtis wrote:WOW! Vinegaroon, all of your shots are awesome! JimR.....astonishing you got that close. =D>
A friend who knows birds pointed out that his head feathers were ruffled, probably due to his annoyance at my proximity. Also, a zoom lens helps.
That was the crazy thing. When I looked at the EXIF data for your photo it stated the focal length as 54mm! Then I remembered the crop factor for the smaller ccd's, so your 10X optical gives you the equivalent of 300mm. That's a very high factor......almost 6X.

Still, that is quite close and the photo turned out well. Did you do additional cropping in post processing to bring it even closer?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimR
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Mark Curtis wrote: That was the crazy thing. When I looked at the EXIF data for your photo it stated the focal length as 54mm! Then I remembered the crop factor for the smaller ccd's, so your 10X optical gives you the equivalent of 300mm. That's a very high factor......almost 6X.

Still, that is quite close and the photo turned out well. Did you do additional cropping in post processing to bring it even closer?
No additional cropping or post processing (that's too sophisticated for me). The tree was off the trail a ways, and I was able to climb up into some rocks to get closer and to get up to his eye level.