Printing fine art - where do the seasoned pros go?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
guernsmountaineer
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Printing fine art - where do the seasoned pros go?

Post by guernsmountaineer »

I would avoid framing, and use canvas instead. With canvas, you don't have to deal with glass reflections and you don't need to use a frame, thus saving time and money. I use BayPhoto, which is great quality. They also do custom sizes. The only thing you need to do is to download their software, which gives you complete printing control.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

guernsmountaineer wrote:I would avoid framing, and use canvas instead. With canvas, you don't have to deal with glass reflections and you don't need to use a frame, thus saving time and money.
thanks for this tip; my next "framing" job I plan to try the canvass thing, partly for the reasons you mention but the main reason perhaps is simply because photos might really look good in this format. I'm specifically going to try a "collage" of 3-4 canvasses side by side, but with a bit of spacing, to display a panorama. I'll check out Bay Photo right now, thanks.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

I fall a lot wrote:
gurlyclimber wrote:Do any of these places print on canvas? I've just started stretching my own prints on canvas. It's a great way to display your art.
Reed does, they're a bit pricey but you never have to question the quality. There are also groupons available for canvas prints (different companies) but can't speak to the quality. I just bought this groupon for photoboards...I really like the idea.

http://www.groupon.com/amarillo/ch/good ... and-blocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Update: The photoboards didn't come out well (although some were decent) and their customer service was horrific. I would NOT recommend Photo Barn.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I use:

http://www.mpix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.whcc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.perfectposters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HighCountry
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HighCountry »

Look no further than mpix.com

I use them all the time and can't fault their quality or turnaround time.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.
Kodachrome
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kodachrome »

My Fine Art is made by hand in this small darkroom that uses a clever vertical tray system that allows me to print up to 20x24 from 35mm, 120mm and 4x5....

Otherwise, I use either Nations Photolab via their slick "ROES" desktop app for commercial digital or "3-Form" for digital mural output.
To each his own, but I personally have no desire to sell people computer prints and call it "Fine Art".... O:) :) :D :wink:
Attachments
Fine Art darkroom in a small storage closet
Fine Art darkroom in a small storage closet
Darkroom_A.jpg (163.67 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
msmith7361
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by msmith7361 »

I'm not a professional photographer or anything, but I've used http://www.pictureitoncanvas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; quite a few times for canvas prints (1.5 in thick bars). Get on their mailing list (or "like" them on FB), as they frequently have 50% off sales, buy-one-get-one-free sales, etc. Customer service has been great as well.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

I don't consider myself a seasoned pro whatsoever, however I do take my printing very seriously. I've spent thousands on outsourcing printing in the past and quite frankly I've never been satisfied. Sure I've has a few come back in the past that I would hang on my own wall but not too many I would sell. About a year ago I located a local photographer/printer named Michael Broughton ,and listened to his pitch. He's incredibly knowledgeable and loves to teach. My printing requirements are painfully obnoxious but he took my requirements to the next level by reaching out to me to develop a solid business relationship.

He uses Epson Ink Jet technology and only prints on Epson Ultrasmooth 100% cotton rag paper. He's got me convinced the rag paper combined with the Ink Jet technology is a next level combo. He's got luster paper, but once I tried the rag I've never looked back. The rag/ink jet combo shows an almost 3D look and feel; think massive Depth of Field where the image almost sucks you into the scene. btw he can print 40" high and as long as you need, perfect for huge panos. He also leaves a 2" in white border which needed space for framing or signing the print, at no additional charge.

Also, Mike guarantees his printing. He firsts prints a 8x10 to review the color and clarity, once you approve he prints the final image. He will send them to you however he prefers you pick them up so he can present them to you for final approval. He also will make localized adjustments (if you wish only)to a TIFF or Raw file to ensure the perfect finished product. That's serious customer service! Lastly he keeps the 8x10s and color profiles from your print process to build familiarity and consistency with ones preferences.

Thats my glowing endorsement for Mike.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Kane wrote:I don't consider myself a seasoned pro whatsoever, however I do take my printing very seriously. I've spent thousands on outsourcing printing in the past and quite frankly I've never been satisfied. Sure I've has a few come back in the past that I would hang on my own wall but not too many I would sell. About a year ago I located a local photographer/printer named Michael Broughton ,and listened to his pitch. He's incredibly knowledgeable and loves to teach. My printing requirements are painfully obnoxious but he took my requirements to the next level by reaching out to me to develop a solid business relationship.

He uses Epson Ink Jet technology and only prints on Epson Ultrasmooth 100% cotton rag paper. He's got me convinced the rag paper combined with the Ink Jet technology is a next level combo. He's got luster paper, but once I tried the rag I've never looked back. The rag/ink jet combo shows an almost 3D look and feel; think massive Depth of Field where the image almost sucks you into the scene. btw he can print 40" high and as long as you need, perfect for huge panos. He also leaves a 2" in white border which needed space for framing or signing the print, at no additional charge.

Also, Mike guarantees his printing. He firsts prints a 8x10 to review the color and clarity, once you approve he prints the final image. He will send them to you however he prefers you pick them up so he can present them to you for final approval. He also will make localized adjustments (if you wish only)to a TIFF or Raw file to ensure the perfect finished product. That's serious customer service! Lastly he keeps the 8x10s and color profiles from your print process to build familiarity and consistency with ones preferences.

Thats my glowing endorsement for Mike.
That's pretty great stuff right there Kane. Sounds like a winner. Probably not automated enough for my busy schedule though
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

Hey guys,
I've done a search and it seems like this topic is the best to hijack, as I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to purchase a good photo of Bear Lake in RMNP as a gift for my soon to be wife, as that is where I proposed. I don't have any print-worthy photos of the area myself, so I was wondering if you have suggestions for professional quality pictures I can order as either a framed print or a canvas print. We live in WI so I'm limited to pretty much buying online, any good suggestions for sites to visit? I've only come across 1 or 2 that I can even find. Ideally I'd like to get a fall shot with some color, but it's not a dealbreaker. Ideal budget is $100 including framing, but that's not a dealbreaker either.

Thanks for any input.
-Ryan
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I remember seeing this a while back:

http://www.glennrandall.com/id131.html
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

vonmackle wrote:I remember seeing this a while back:

http://www.glennrandall.com/id131.html
Just took a look and that's definitely a viable option. Thanks for the suggestion!
-Ryan