Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

High Park fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: High Park fire

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:08 pm

reinhold wrote:
Maybe it's true? I saw that it took a YEAR to finally put the lid on the Honey Prairie fire in Okefenokee Swamp (4/2011-4/2012).

wow crazy, i guess it could smolder for a long long time, already over 43,000 acres...the dry weather isnt helping at all.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby madbuck » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:08 pm

reinhold wrote:
ajkagy wrote:i find that hard to believe, there is only so much fuel to burn...maybe he was referring to something else?

Maybe it's true? I saw that it took a YEAR to finally put the lid on the Honey Prairie fire in Okefenokee Swamp (4/2011-4/2012).

Yes, such fires can smolder for months...

Postby mike offerman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:27 pm

SilverLynx wrote:I heard that the Mishawaka has burned down - can anyone confirm this?

As of last nights fire map, Mishawaka is still half a mile from the fire front. I would also think that if the fire came closer it would be fairly defensible. Their website just says it is closed.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 pm

tmathews wrote:Eep. :shock:

Jeremy Meyer ‏@jpmeyerDPost

High Park Fire incident commander says fire likely won't be under control until the fall. #highparkfire

Expanding that tweet, people are saying he took that out of context. The fire commander meant fire season will continue to fall
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm

mike offerman wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:I heard that the Mishawaka has burned down - can anyone confirm this?

As of last nights fire map, Mishawaka is still half a mile from the fire front. I would also think that if the fire came closer it would be fairly defensible. Their website just says it is closed.

KDVR 22 mins 53 secs ago Twitter
The #Mishawaka Amphitheatre. Taken just a few minutes ago yfrog.com/j2qp7dj #HighParkFire
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Picture from space of the smoke plume on Sunday at 2:30 pm local, from NASA:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires/main/usa/20120611-colorado.html
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Sky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Just found out that the fire is two miles from the family cabin and expected to be gone by morning.

Postby Palmyra J » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:09 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Ugh, I know wildfires are often "natural" but this is just a tragedy. :(
Poor Poudre Canyon. It's saddening to hear that people have been injured and killed. I heard that the Mishawaka has burned down - can anyone confirm this? I am just thankful I got to enjoy driving up the PC a couple of weeks ago. This fire is insane. It was bound to happen, too, given the amount of bark beetle kill in Larimer County.
What's next? RMNP? I sure hope not.

RMNP...we will hope not. It has not shown signs of drifting that far South, has it?

Postby chrismjx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 pm

OneArmSteve wrote:and Chris"MjX" ...since I can not send you a PM....

f**k You Smart Ass!

Dude, its gonna be OK! They're turning the river back on! http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?dd_cd=04&format=gif&period=7&site_no=06752260 \:D/

Postby tornado » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 pm

djkest wrote:They think it was started by lightning strike, but it's odd because it started early Saturday morning most likely.

Is it possible for a lightning strike to start a fire 8 or 10 hours later?

Don't ever think twice about taking every precaution if you think you think lightning's struck around you, especially where you live. A few years ago lightning hit my apt. building, smoldered for about 6 hours and finally caught some insulation in the attic and this was the end result. So yes, a smoldering lightning strike is extremely possible. You just need fuel for it to erupt into something bad after it's smoldered for a while.

Postby malibutexan07 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Thank y'all for helping to keep me up-to-date on this fire. I'm in Dallas with a lil cuz in Ft. Collins; the details provided in this thread have been very helpful to me.

Best,
Chris H.

Postby matt pierce » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks to djkest and all the others who have posted the radio links and pics etc.

PreviousNext