Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

High Park fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: High Park fire

Postby birdsall » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 am

I wonder if the 7 month old pregnant woman that can't sleep very well because she's on a cot that was mentioned in the post today cares that people have to deal with a little bit of smoke.

Postby jdorje » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am

TheOtherIndian wrote:
ajkagy wrote:Latest release says 5% containment

They said yesterday that it was limited (they didn't use the word contained) on the southwest (upwind) and southeast (reservoir) sides. I'm guessing the 5% is in the easy directions.
Last edited by jdorje on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Bean » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 am

birdsall wrote:I wonder if the 7 month old pregnant woman that can't sleep very well because she's on a cot that was mentioned in the post today cares that people have to deal with a little bit of smoke.

I wonder if people are allowed to be concerned with or even comment on things that directly affect them without mentioning every single impact of an event.

Oh wait, no I don't.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

TheOtherIndian wrote:Latest release says 5% containment

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/news/newsDetail.cfm?id=1534

that's at least something, I think the biggest factor will be the winds and how gusty they get in the afternoon.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby George James » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

• Yellow - Sunday morning
  • Orange - Monday morning
  • Red - Tuesday morning
  • Green - Hewlett Fire

- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby plantmandan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:23 am

Condolences to the family of the woman who perished in this fire. The real tragedy of natural disasters is the loss of life.

Postby birdsall » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 am

Bean wrote:
birdsall wrote:I wonder if the 7 month old pregnant woman that can't sleep very well because she's on a cot that was mentioned in the post today cares that people have to deal with a little bit of smoke.

I wonder if people are allowed to be concerned with or even comment on things that directly affect them without mentioning every single impact of an event.

Oh wait, no I don't.

you're absolutely right. It's a bit amusing, is all.

updated burn map - http://www.co.larimer.co.us/emergency/HighPark_0611_2200.pdf

They really did an amazing job overnight. I'm blown away by their efforts....

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Looks like the fire is running out of places to go. If the wind stays mellow today they should be abole to up the containment percentage.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Eep. :shock:

Jeremy Meyer ‏@jpmeyerDPost

High Park Fire incident commander says fire likely won't be under control until the fall. #highparkfire

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Ugh, I know wildfires are often "natural" but this is just a tragedy. :(
Poor Poudre Canyon. It's saddening to hear that people have been injured and killed. I heard that the Mishawaka has burned down - can anyone confirm this? I am just thankful I got to enjoy driving up the PC a couple of weeks ago. This fire is insane. It was bound to happen, too, given the amount of bark beetle kill in Larimer County.
What's next? RMNP? I sure hope not.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:56 pm

tmathews wrote:Eep. :shock:

High Park Fire incident commander says fire likely won't be under control until the fall. #highparkfire

i find that hard to believe, there is only so much fuel to burn...maybe he was referring to something else?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:06 pm

ajkagy wrote:
tmathews wrote:Eep. :shock:

i find that hard to believe, there is only so much fuel to burn...maybe he was referring to something else?

Maybe it's true? I saw that it took a YEAR to finally put the lid on the Honey Prairie fire in Okefenokee Swamp (4/2011-4/2012).

PreviousNext