Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

High Park fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: High Park fire

Postby djkest » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Blog post I put together with time-stamped photos, larger versions can be loaded by clicking on them.

http://exploringandwine.blogspot.com/2012/06/high-park-fire.html
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby oldschoolczar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 am

Didn't notice smoke at all last night but North Denver was filled with smoke this morning... hope they get this f'er under wraps!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 am

oldschoolczar wrote:Didn't notice smoke at all last night but North Denver was filled with smoke this morning... hope they get this f'er under wraps!

I'm up in Broomfield and it's awful this morning. I have minor asthma and I'm not at all a happy person right now. I'm hoping the wind shifts again and blows the smoke up north.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 am

oldschoolczar wrote:Didn't notice smoke at all last night but North Denver was filled with smoke this morning... hope they get this f'er under wraps!

just a fact of life with living in CO. It sucks if it threatens peoples homes/lives, but the forest needs to burn. The more often it burns, the less of a chance to have a massive fire and the healthier the forests are going to be. With how dry it's been it might be a long summer of fires.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 am

Anyone hear anything on how much containment they have on the fire? Last I heard it was at 0% #-o
Last edited by kushrocks on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 am

kushrocks wrote:Anyone hear anything on how much containment they have on the fire? Last I heard it was at 0% =D>

Yeah, Inciweb indicates that as well.

Inciweb wrote:Air support helped fightfighters make ground on south flank and eastern flank of fire, but fire remains zero percent contained.

It was last updated 11 hours ago, so that may have changed. http://inciweb.org/incident/2904/

Edit: Apparently, it just updated. It still says 0%, though.
Last edited by tmathews on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 am

kushrocks wrote:Anyone hear anything on how much containment they have on the fire? Last I heard it was at 0% =D>

the news is saying "some containment", but that could mean anything. Probably still waiting on word from the front lines and firefighters.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 am

So I just realized on this quote I used a clapping smily face and not the slap on the head one I meant to. #-o #-o

My bad. I definitly did not mean to applaud 0% containment. #-o
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby TheOtherIndian » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 am

Longmont is hazy, low visibility, cant see the mountains at all!
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 am

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:29 am

I am in a downtown highrise with a (normally) clear view of west and north Denver. the smoke has cleared a lot since this morning but it is still really bad. I couldn't see the mountains at all this AM, now I can barely make out Longs. The amazing part is that our building has this high tech air filtration system and it still smells like a camp fire in here!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby TheOtherIndian » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 am

ajkagy wrote:

the news is saying "some containment", but that could mean anything. Probably still waiting on word from the front lines and firefighters.

Latest release says 5% containment

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/news/newsDetail.cfm?id=1534
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

PreviousNext