Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moose

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Moose

Postby dnye » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am

A group of us saw this Moose yesterday in the willows off of Mt. Bierstadt trail. It was an impressive site. After we had passed the moose, we continued to watch it as it moved close to the trail, where there were hikers. The hikers were oblivious and did not see it. The first picture shows the moose checking out the hikers from probably 75-100 feet away. We tried to alert the hikers, but it did not help. We were truly nervous that the moose was going to charge them, but luckily it waited for them to pass before running across the trail to the large lake in the valley.

What do you do if a moose charges you? You hear about bears and mountain lion attacks, but what if a moose is pissed at you? In addition, if you are in the area, keep your eye out for the moose.

Thanks. =D>
Attachments
DSC02893_2.JPG
DSC02893_2.JPG (76.27 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
DSC02889_2.JPG
DSC02889_2.JPG (56.92 KiB) Viewed 1062 times

Re: Moose

Postby jsdratm » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 am

Very nice pictures! I have not seen a wild moose in Colorado yet, but the thought of being charged by one is terrifying. :shock:

Postby tmathews » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 am

dnye wrote:What do you do if a moose charges you? Thanks. =D>

Take away its credit card. ;)

Sorry, lame joke from when I was a kid. :mrgreen:

Postby YooperJonKornely » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 am

Very cool pictures! The only Moose I have seen in CO so far has been on the road to Mt Sherman... there is even a "Watch for Moose" sign in that area, which was obviously correct. I've been told to try to get above the moose, keep your distance, and try to keep objects like boulders, trees, etc in between you and the Moose. And be especially careful if you see a wee little moose around too... they can be very protective.

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:40 am

If I got charged by a moose, I'd be runnin'. Since you know they don't want to eat you, they would rather just chase you off. If you run, they'll lose interest pretty quickly.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 am

I have seen plenty of moose but have never felt threatened by one but they are scary. I did run into an upset bull (cattle, not moose) hiking into Capital that was very aggressive toward toward our party. We were absolutely terrified he was going to charge us but we just gave him a VERY wide space. Our approach was to get uphill from him in thick trees making a wide open charge on his part difficult. He stomped his feet while eye-balling us the whole time and faked a charge or two but never came all out at us. It definitely ranked up there with my most terrifying moments in the mountains.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby pkripper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm

From what I understand, moose account for more deaths in Alaska than bears(much more moose than bears). They will knock you down and continue to stomp on you.
It's a round trip. Getting to the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory.(Ed Viesturs)

Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous.(Reinhold Messner)

It's not advisable to drink too much strong liquors while climbing in the Alps. If, however, you are going to fall over a cliff, it's advisable to be thoroughly intoxicated when you do so.(English alpinist)

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 pm

From my few experiences, Moose have been more weary of avoiding humans, than charging them, but that might just be luck. Chicago Transplant had an entire family cross his path not 100 yards from the Piney Ranch Trail in the Gores. They ran to a safe vantage point and then started at us intently in the dark, with no apparent sign of threat or snorting at us. They were more spooked and then curious. I'm unfamiliar with their aggressive behavior though.

In Glacier Gorge, there is a resident family of Bull Elk who have shown aggression, particularly the male. He grunted at me and 2 friends and we weren't even close. He charged my friend the week before in the same location and they had to seek shelter on a high boulder to avoid getting gored.

Postby Summit Stomper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:31 pm

I lived in Alaska for almost 15 years and have had some close encounters and have heard/seen some others.

As the previous poster said. I moose will stomp on you until it sees no more movement from you. If there is movement, it will think the threat is still there and continue to stomp with nearly a ton of weight.

1) Moose are much more unpredictable than a bear.
2) If charged by a moose and you are anywhere close to a tree, get behind it and dance around the tree if you have to until it goes away.
3) If you have nowhere to go and a charge/encounter is emminent, then lay on the ground, cover your head and be absolutely still until the moose is gone.
4) Avoid getting close to one, especially if there are babies around.
5) "Never, ever, try to kiss a moose!"

One time across from Providence Hosptial in Anchorage, there was an old guy that was trying to walk across a icy patch to get to a door of a fitness club. As he was walking out across the icy patch a momma moose charged him and he fell to the ice and was flayling (sp) his arms around to try to keep the moose away and the more he moved the more the moose stomped. He died while being taken across the street to the hospital. If he would have remained still he probably would have been ok. It turns out that there were a bunch of college kids throwing snowball, etc at the moose/babies on several occasions earlier in the day/week, and them momma had all she was going to take from the humans.

Most of the time, however, they mind their own business and will slowly fade into the bushes to avoid you.
Teeth to the wind!

Postby skiwall » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:33 pm

There was a video on Youtube last summer of some guy from here in SLC that got "trampled" by a moose in Millcreek Canyon. It stepped on him a few times, he screamed like a girl, and then it went away. He hiked out with bruised ribs, I think?

A quick search did not reveal the video, though. Sorry. The scream was really priceless. So was his talk to the moose... "It's ookkaaaaaaay! We're not gonna huuuuuurt you!"

*** edit: here it is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbCYn8USw8

I swear I remembered him screaming more... not quite as exciting as my memory made it. Still, I know it had to hurt.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Just recently I have been seeing alot of moose up here. Maybe a dozen or so in the last couple of weeks. I have only felt threatened by a moose once, it was a full grown cow that was upset by a dog off leash. The moose charged the dog a couple of times then came running full speed in my direction, I was about 50 yards away. I ducked into some steep surface mining gullies and I guess the moose knew I was no longer a threat and ran right by, about 20yards away. Even though I dont think it was really "charging" at me, a full grown moose running straight at you at full speed is pretty scary.

I worry more about moose than I do bear or mt. Lions. Even though most of the moose I have seen have been pretty complacent and just want to keep on eating or moving along, they worry me beacuse of how unpredictable they can be.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby kimo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:24 pm

dnye wrote:What do you do if a moose charges you? You hear about bears and mountain lion attacks, but what if a moose is pissed at you?

Moose can run faster than a person but the animal isn't necessarily built for speed so they seem to choose fight over flight. It's best to run from a moose because it won't chase you very far. Helps to have obstructions such as boulders or trees to duck behind. It is not an agile or limber animal so you can weave through the forest much quicker than a moose can. If you fall, curl up into a ball and lay still.

I've encountered probably 30 moose in the Colorado backcountry, all in the IPW, RMNP, and Gore. Encountered 9 moose in a single trip up Cascade Creek a couple years ago. Many of the encounters were within 100 feet. Two encounters were within 20 feet and not by choice. They have a remarkable ability to blend into the bush.

Only once did I feel threatened by a moose at Piney Lake in the Gore during mating season. The juvenile bull was across the valley, at least 300 feet away, when we first saw each other. We were separated by creek and wetlands. He charged through the water and willows and took to the trail about 100 feet behind me. I ran like lightning into the trees, slowing only to look over my shoulder to see the moose following at a brisk pace. After a few minutes of running I was deep in the aspen forest and never saw him again. On the way out that moose was on my mind. He was grazing on the other side of Piney Lake as I slipped passed. I encountered a larger bull, 2 cows, and a calf on that same trip.

This big guy had a lot of attitude but didn't give me any trouble.

Next