Smoky Mountains

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
packratt
14ers: 28 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Smoky Mountains

Post by packratt »

Le Conte is winner! Busy, but a fantastic hike. I did it on a memorial day and started very early, like 6 AM and found it to be very secluded. I took the ALum Cave trail up and the Boulevard trail over to the AT with a brief hike up Mt. Kephart to the Jump Off (nice view) and back to New Foundland Gap... which was very busy by then.

A fantastic day hike.
Teeboy
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teeboy »

IMO...LeConte's best route is from Newfound Gap to Boulevard Trail (side trip to the Jumpoff!!!!) and then onto the Summit. If you have two cars or hitch-hike, descend the Alum Cave Trail. I've climbed LeConte numerous times and this is, by far, the best route. Fewer people (after the AT) and greater views. Plus you climb Mt. Kephart on the AT (a 6er!). Also, don't forget to pick up your rock to place on the top....It really should be the highest peak in the park! LOL! Over a mile of elevation gain from Gatlinburg....BEAUTIFUL!!! Packrat is right on!
Tampa Flatlander
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tampa Flatlander »

Probably better in the fall, but if you're looking for some off trail hiking you could try Porters Creek up to Charlies Bunion.

http://greghoover.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... creek.html
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I thought you referring to that I cannot see the Rockies today from Denver
due to smoke from a Fort Collins area fire.
I had a good view from Quandry summit Saturday.
SouthernFried
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SouthernFried »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We (Mrs. SouthernFried) ended up doing a few miles on the AT from Newfound Gap and then finished it off with Chimney Tops! Mrs. SouthernFried isn't as in to hiking as am I so I was impressed that she managed to make it up Chimney Tops...that is one steep hike!

I'll be posting a trip report on Chimney Tops in the coming days if anyone is interested.

Thanks again y'all!