Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What does it mean to "ski a 14er"?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: What does it mean to "ski a 14er"?

Postby Carl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:19 pm

pioletski wrote:Most of us that claim summit descents on Wetterhorn, myself included, carried our skis to the summit (yes, Jim Davies), made 3 or 4 turns on the cap of snow at the top, then carried them back down to the Prow and skied from there. Yes, it's a little silly.

Another good post Matt, but I don't think those Wetterhorn summit turns were silly. The snow conditions were just so good that we couldn't resist the opportunity to put the boards on. :wink:

Postby lodgling » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Jump turns just to clear those suncups . . .

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Okay I will bite, my respected aquantainces have basically summed it up though. And this has been debated thoroughly. There are two schools of thought, you have to ski from summit to end of snow or ski best available line that rarely hold snow (some of us have the term "Davenporting" which equates to hopping over rock with skis on foot). It is personal, like the 3k rule. No recognition or rewards will be given at this point in the race. Skiing continuous from the summits is a much more difficult feat for sure.

Side note, if you want to get into the minutia of summit skiing then check out the many arguments on the 8000m peaks. I have grown to prefer just to climb a bunch of stuff and then ski down it.

Piolet, we killed those summit turns on Wetterhorn. It was way wicked sick extreme.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby pioletski » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Piolet, we killed those summit turns on Wetterhorn. It was way wicked sick extreme.

Right on Mr Roan. As I recall, we were all grateful that we didn't leave any bodies on the mountain that day!
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby moneymike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:21 am

Oh man, my dreams have been dashed :cry: Davenport didn't finish because of Challenger, Dawson didn't finish because of El Diente, Pyramid, N. Maroon and perhaps others, and Jcwhite has screwed us all!

Carl is our only hope. Those pictures are hilarious!

Postby moneymike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey, what are those super short skis called? You know, you see people at the resorts screwing around on them. I think I might be able to get more true summit descents (like on Wetterhorn or on San Luis using Carl's technique) with those skis.

Postby Gueza » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:27 pm

moneymike wrote:Hey, what are those super short skis called? You know, you see people at the resorts screwing around on them. I think I might be able to get more true summit descents (like on Wetterhorn or on San Luis using Carl's technique) with those skis.

Snow blades. You might even be able to get a true summit ski descent off of Sunlight with those bad boys on!
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Carl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Gueza wrote:
moneymike wrote:Hey, what are those super short skis called? You know, you see people at the resorts screwing around on them. I think I might be able to get more true summit descents (like on Wetterhorn or on San Luis using Carl's technique) with those skis.

Snow blades. You might even be able to get a true summit ski descent off of Sunlight with those bad boys on!

Snowblading in the backcountry is tough. Even with a rope and harness I struggled on Quandary last year. I don't know of any single person who has snowbladed more than 2 14ers. Who will be first to do them all?!? (not it)

photo by Jim (Dancesatmoonrise)

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Snowblading is bad ass.
I think the next level would be snowblade jouring, where a dog pulls you up the hill.
Skijouring big mountains is a real sport, it's out there and being done.
If you have the harness on, you might as well have some aid.
I don't think anybody has even done one 14er by snowbladejouring.
Push the limits and you can still be the first!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:43 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:Snowblading is bad ass.
I think the next level would be snowblade jouring, where a dog pulls you up the hill.
Skijouring big mountains is a real sport, it's out there and being done.
If you have the harness on, you might as well have some aid.
I don't think anybody has even done one 14er by snowbladejouring.
Push the limits and you can still be the first!

Good idea, I can already ski fairly well and I happen to own two giant Newfoundlands, so my chances look good. Maybe I will have my dogs autograph our book for Dav.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Previous