Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sawatch Snow Coverage Discussion

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Sawatch Snow Coverage Discussion

Postby mitrik » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Has anyone seen the N face of La Plata recently? What about Antero, Oxford or Missouri, Princeton? Looking for 1500-2500+ vert of snow left on runs. Looking for the longest vert I can get now from the 14ers.

Re: Sawatch Snow Coverage Discussion

Postby Scott P » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Princeton doesn't have that much snow on it. Neither does Antero. Can't say for La Plata.

I took this photo on the summit of Antero today:

Shavano and Tabeguache are in the background. As you can see the Southern Sawatch peaks are pretty dry. Missouri is probably your best bet. Maybe parts of Massive (?).

Looking for the longest vert I can get now from the 14ers.

Probably in the Elk Range.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 am

I also did Antero last weekend, it was dry via Little Brown Creek with only minor snow patches to be found. Belford/Oxford were also completely dry. Missouri's North face is pretty solid snow still, and would make a nice snow climb, IF hit in the morning. I heard reports of the snow softening quickly once the sun is up. Last weekend it was rock solid due to sub-freezing temps and a strong wind chill. A friend went up LaPlata last week via the standard trail, just a little snow to contend with, but she just wore trail runners the whole way with no issue.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby jmc5040 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am

This photo was taken a week ago on 5/27 from Mount Belford looking at Missouri Mountain's north face from the east. I'm not sure what a weeks done to the snowpack, but may be an option to ski.
Attachments
Missouri North Face.jpg
Missouri North Face.jpg (133.48 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Last edited by jmc5040 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby jmc5040 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:56 am

Check out (http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11876) for some good photos of Missouri. It appears that the couloirs are filled in well still on Missouri's north face. I remember hiking up Belford thinking that there were some good skiable lines on Missouri. I need to check my work schedule, but I'd be up for doing this towards the tail end of the week. I'll send you a message once I know more.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Elliot » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Theres a few worthwhile descents in the sawatch if your willing to ski 13ers. I saw La plata north face and it did not look appealing maybe the skiers left patch was in but not to the basin.

Postby jmc5040 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks for the update, obviously a lot can change in a week with the warm temps. What 13ers looked to be in better skiing shape? Any info or photos would be great to have.

Postby mitrik » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:21 am

The peaks with the best coverage could be made into a list which could be relatively accurate from year to year with some variation depending on where most of the loading happened. that would be a multi year project to get right. Anyway thanks and I'll be skiing till July cause I'm one of the nuts who likes summer skiing. FYI, Dead Dog is done for the season, huge suncups in the low center and deep runnel, these are 1+ ft deep.

Postby mitrik » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Look at Snowmass from Fletcher Pk today... the only fully white peak anywhere!!!
Attachments
IMG_6834-CrpsnowmassPkdistance.JPG
IMG_6834-CrpsnowmassPkdistance.JPG (264.09 KiB) Viewed 255 times