8000ers.com and a new book

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: 8000ers.com and a new book

Post by 12ersRule »

The 8000m checklist needs more bling. Needs some icons to separate the studs from the duds: for example:

*A purple faced smiley for summitting without supplemental oxygen.
*2 feet with 5 toes if you make it with all digits intact
*a happy sherpa face if they don't carry your camp chair and liquor
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

* What time should I start up Annapurna in order to be off the summit by noon?
* Yeah, sure Everest can be crowded, but only on weekends. Do it on a Tuesday and you'll have it to yourself.
* LOST: My bottle of oxygen just below the summit of K2. If found... well, just leave it there like everyone else does.
* Looking for a climbing partner for Everest. Meet in Kathmandu next Friday with $35K for your share of the permit.
* It's been pretty warm the last few days, is the Khumbu Icefall going to melt out earlier than usual?

I'm having way too much fun with this.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Cool site, I think Bill needs to go after copryright infringement though.

1 other topic... Are there any snowfree 8000ers yet?
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

Good stuff.

No, I don't have any 8000m experience, but I've watched Vertical Limit about a dozen times.

On a serious note, there is little use for an online checklist with Elizabeth Hawley keeping the books. Does that mean Bill is kinda like our very own Colorado version of Ms. Hawley? Hmmm...I almost see the resemblance. :D
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Traveling Matt... good stuff for sure.
I was wondering if my sedan can make it up the road to the trailhead of Broad Peak?
If I get a pretty serious blister near the summit of Manaslu, can I just use duct tape or do I need to go back down? I hear you can use a power bar wrapper too.
Is it possible to climb Lhotse and Everest in two days since they leave from the same trailhead?
What's your favorite Ipod music for climbing KANGCHENJUNGA?
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

davebks wrote:Is it possible to climb Lhotse and Everest in two days since they leave from the same trailhead?
Actually, there is a guide that is offering up Lhotse and Everest summits within 24 hours...
Helluva traverse.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

The most important beta question no one has asked is: will there be reception so I can update my facebook status with my iphone on the summit?

Because a peak isn't summited until someone else likes it.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

*like*
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

I've summited Mt. Sherman but I'm ready for a bigger challenger. What 8,000 peak would you suggest for a newbie?
cwm191 wrote: On a serious note, there is little use for an online checklist with Elizabeth Hawley keeping the books. Does that mean Bill is kinda like our very own Colorado version of Ms. Hawley? Hmmm...I almost see the resemblance. :D
Yep. Bill probably knows waaay more than he ever wanted to know about some of the forum users. :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Brian Thomas wrote:The most important beta question no one has asked is: will there be reception so I can update my facebook status with my iphone on the summit?

Because a peak isn't summited until someone else likes it.
Can we carpool to Nepal? I'll give you $1,700 for airfare, but I REFUSE $1,701.75.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I just finished reading the book. It is excellent and highly recommended (I am a fan of all Sale's books).

It mostly covers the first ascents and then the most recent climbs after 2000, so I'd also recommend getting the previous edition as well (which I have about worn out I've read so many times).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

* I want to climb everything over 8000m, not just the official peaks on the list. What else do I need to climb?
* If I take a non-standard route on Everest, can I dodge the crowds? For that matter, what hard routes are there on easy 8000ers?
* What are the best solo 8000ers/routes for chicks?
* And why the hell is Sale's 8000ers out of print? The cheapest copy I can find on ebay is $56. Anyone want to trade their copy for a case of Kingfisher?
* Who's the youngest ever to climb an 8000er? Should I take my 4-year-old? We've been walking together for 20 hours a week.
* What's the best 8000er to finish on?
* Can someone explain how the 3000m rule works? Do I have to gain 3000m to check the box?
* I have a proposal for a new "public summit" for Kangchenjunga, which I think is a good compromise for climbers and locals. See attached topo map.
* And sorry if this question has been asked before - but can I take my dog up Cho Oyu?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."