Lawn Lake/ Hagues Peak / Mummy Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Lawn Lake/ Hagues Peak / Mummy Peak

Post by cougar »

last year I saw a runner doing Mummy Mania solo (and he may have added Bighorn + Tileston - spotted him running up the road below Lawn Lake TH). He was going to run up Fall River Rd. He didn't do the Rowes though. So it's doable that way with the road closed (for some people). Another option without a car shuttle is to bushwhack up the east/se ridge of Chapin, starting from the Lawn Lake TH. A couple thosuand ft more elevation gain and maybe another mile. And the peaks are mostly class 2 with a bit of 3 on Hagues.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I just managed to break both pairs of my Keen hiking boots, so now I'm down to some beat up Asics running shoes for at least a couple weeks. Plans are up in the air at this point. Might kill my feet trying to do 16+ miles in beat up running shoes.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

mike offerman wrote:Just a note on doing Mummy Mania this time of year. Fall River Road will not be open, so you would need to hike down to Chapin Pass from Trail Ridge.
Good point, I just checked and the plan is to open the road on 6/30. Still, it is only a 1.6 mile stroll down the road to Chapin pass from the visitor center.
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

For Hagues Peak it said the "easiest" way to do it was a "mummy mania" style aproach from chapin pass; but bypassing all the summits. They claim a mere 6 miles (RT?) and 2650' of gain. Now this would work well I think until you got to Fairchild, which it seems you would be "forced" to summit. Forgoing other summits, could could take some of the distance and a good chunk of the "gain" off. I'm not sure how easy the summit bypass routes would be above treeline and if there is in fact a trail or if you would be bushwhacking. Then again, since you are "right there", it seems like it would make sense to at least bag a couple more summits. Maybe instead of "mummy mania" it would be more like "mummy enthusiam".
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

I would like to do the complete mummy mania, when the correct Trailheads are open and when the snow is away but I need a buddy with the second car. Hagues peak is more than 500 m prominent, so on my to do list. PM me if someone interested, probably any time in June...
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

You're going to like this Mummy Mania thing. Be sure to check out Rowe glacier from the nearby peak. Talk about classic crevasses. (yes, there are glaciers in Colorado, not many and not very big). I cannot find my pic here at work, darnit, or I'd post one. Awesome area. Enjoy.
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Here's a good picture on summitpost:
http://www.summitpost.org/rowe-glacier- ... gged/71431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there should be a good view of the glacier from Hagues Peak. This is sounding so tempting. And it's free to go into the park Saturday (especially at the time I'll be up there).
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Completed the hike yesterday solo. My route was about 18 miles with 6,000' of elevation gain. I was hiking for ~10 hours. Going to do a trip report soon. Pretty awesome area, it's just such a bummer that it's so isolated- the 8 mile hike to "the saddle" is pretty tedious. I scratched Fairchild but did complete Hagues Peak, Rowe Peak, and Mummy Mountain. Despite being in RMNP, I saw no one once I passed Lawn lake until I rejoined the lawn lake trail about 4 hours later. So, solitude is possible if you go to the right places.

Hagues Peak was interesting. It was actually much more technically demanding than I had anticipated. There is dramatic exposure on one side and it would be easy to find some exposed class 4 lines to the top. I ended up making a pretty safe class 3/4 scramble to gain the summit, after having to down climb a little and traverse. It's just about as challenging as you want it to be.
glacier1.jpg
glacier1.jpg (285.54 KiB) Viewed 588 times
I had a really interesting time trying to get to Rowe Peak. The ridge is super-gnarly. I'm sure it could be and has been done, but it's a sharp ridge of loose dirt and chunky class 3/4/5 rock with nice exposure on both sides. The other way is to downclimb to the glacier/lake and cross over that way. The only problem with a huge snowdrift/glacial stream that I had to cross. The sun had softened the snow and it was saturated with water from below. Anyway, I managed to get across it after completely submerging my boots in glacier melt.
glacier2.jpg
glacier2.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 588 times
I'm not sure what this will look like later in the year but as the snow melts out this will probably get a lot easier. I almost gave up trying to make it over to Rowe and I suspect a lot of people are going to be making the same decision.