Gore Range Recommendations

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Gore Range Recommendations

Post by Brian Thomas »

Floyd wrote:I feel that that adding more "mystique" and suspense to the range would draw more people than more information
Scott P wrote:To me, it’s very weird that people consider the Gore Range to be some sort of “secret”
tylermacguire wrote:I would be very willing to show hiking partners some of my favorite areas in the Gore but, it is not something I talk about in a public forum
If you look at my 13er peak list, you'll see that I've never summited anything in the Gore Range, and this is why:
here-be-dragons.jpg
here-be-dragons.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Have you ever been to Duck Lake at the head of the Black Creek Drainage?
No. Sounds like a good summer trip. A good 14ers.com gathering perhaps? I'll have to get into the Gores often this summer. I will have a lot more spare time in the summers from now on.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Scott P wrote:
Have you ever been to Duck Lake at the head of the Black Creek Drainage?
No. Sounds like a good summer trip. A good 14ers.com gathering perhaps? I'll have to get into the Gores often this summer. I will have a lot more spare time in the summers from now on.
Black Lake approach is hell on earth. Screw the fact that its private property and the lady sucks because she is doing you a favor....I think I went maybe a mile without touching solid ground (not exaggerating) and we didn't even get CLOSE to getting out of tree line.

That being said, I think the best way to get to Bubble is via kneeknocker pass. Or...you could do yourself a favor and go a little more north of black lake approach to the Cataract basin approach but that would put you pretty north of Bubble and you would have to crest over Eagle Nest's east ridge.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Black Lake approach is hell on earth. Screw the fact that its private property and the lady sucks because she is doing you a favor
The private land is avoidable if you come in from Lost Lake. That's how we approached Bubble Lake in 2001. It was tedious, but wasn't terrible back then, but I guess it could have gotten worse (beetle kill maybe?). It's just the price you have to pay to get somewhere that is at least somewhat remote (although the word "remote" is kind of stretching it) in the Gore Range.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

Like this thread, I also wanted to get a little look at the Gore range this summer.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Scott P wrote: The private land is avoidable if you come in from Lost Lake. That's how we approached Bubble Lake in 2001. It was tedious, but wasn't terrible back then, but I guess it could have gotten worse (beetle kill maybe?). It's just the price you have to pay to get somewhere that is at least somewhat remote (although the word "remote" is kind of stretching it) in the Gore Range.
Good to know Scott.

I would bet money areas of the San Juans are farrrrr more remote than the Gores.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Brian Thomas wrote:Isn't "the first rule about the Gore Range is that you don't talk about the Gore Range", or something like that?
No, that's the second rule.
Anything on the east side besides Keller makes for some tough going and LONG approaches due to the private property issues. The Vail side is probably where you want to be for an intro to the range.
Silverthorne/East Thorn is dayhikable from the the east side, as is Red. Oh crap, I just talked about the Gore Range; they're going to revoke my permit.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I agree that the trails are popular, but the peaks really are not. I have climbed 42 out of 48 ranked peaks in the Eagles Nest Wilderness (plus a few repeats and unranked ones) and only shared a summit once with someone not in my party. The Vail trails can be quite popular though, and I have seen over 100 people on the trail to Booth Falls before, but they were spread out enough to not feel too crowded.

Buffalo Mtn is the most popular and the only one with a class 1 trail to its summit. That can be easily dayhiked from Silverthorne up in Wildernest: http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIK ... 0Trail.htm

Some good class 2/2+ peaks would be Grand Traverse Peak from Deluge Lake, Powell from Piney, Solitude from Pitkin, Red from Wildernest and Deming from Meadow Creek. Easier Class 3 like Valhalla from Deluge or West Partner from Booth are good too.

I have lived in the Vail area for 8 years and been climbing in the range just as long. There is a definite increase in trip reports and interest in the peaks in recent years, but so far I haven't noticed it "getting crowed" on the high peaks. Once you leave the trails you are usually not going to see anyone else. Actually with the early starts most peak climbers have, usually you won't see anyone until you are descending the trail back to the car. Of course I could say the same thing of 13ers in about any range.

I think the rugged nature of the peaks in the Gore and the generally vague route information keeps some people away. Buffalo is the only peak with a marked route to its summit, so people who are used to following trails and cairns tend to be a little intimidated by having to route find on class 3 peaks on their own. Also the traverses can get very difficult and complicated with numerous towers so the peaks tend to be "one trick ponies". Even short traverses can get complicated and time consuming (N-O is .3 miles but really caught us by surprise).
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Chicago Transplant wrote:I have climbed 42 out of 48 ranked peaks in the Eagles Nest Wilderness (plus a few repeats and unranked ones) and only shared a summit once with someone not in my party.
You are definitely living the dream. I know most of the summits in the Gores have awesome views, which one is your favorite? Have you done Ripsaw from C to H in one shot?
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Mike, I'm with ya man. Of all the Gore summits or even for that matter the climb itself I've been on and done, I cant think of a climb or summit in which I have ever seen another person other than from my own party. Yes, the East Vail trails can house some people and hikers, but not the peaks themselves.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Barry Raven wrote:
Chicago Transplant wrote:I have climbed 42 out of 48 ranked peaks in the Eagles Nest Wilderness (plus a few repeats and unranked ones) and only shared a summit once with someone not in my party.
You are definitely living the dream. I know most of the summits in the Gores have awesome views, which one is your favorite? Have you done Ripsaw from C to H in one shot?
Its not a bad place to call home that is for sure! (right Brandon?)

I have not done the Ripsaw in one shot yet, would like to though, need some perfect weather for that one :D

I really liked the summit views on Peak X, South Piney Bristle and The Spider. L and N were pretty good too. Anchoring the range, Powell at the north and Silverthorne at the south are both good ones.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

On my first trip into The Gores last September, our group ran into Joe Kramarsic on the summit, if you can believe that. I then proceeded to give him all the information he would need about lord helmut - name, address, physical description, vehicle description, idiosyncrasies, etc. I basically sang like a canary and Joe just nodded his head and took extensive notes.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs