Mt. Wheeler, Highest 13er in NM

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
redraiderdt
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Wheeler, Highest 13er in NM

Post by redraiderdt »

I've spent a fair amount of time on the Red River side. There is a short cut if you go all the way to Middle Fork Lake (which had very poor trout numbers when I was there in early June last year-maybe was stocked later). I learned about this unofficial route from the cross country ski guys there in Red River (I think it's called Enchanted Forest). It cuts off some mileage.

As you come to Middle Fork Lake go the left. There is a trail- it will take some route finding skills at times, but with a a GPS, you'll be fine. After a couple of miles or so, you'll intersect the trail that everyone takes from the Taos side- then you have it.

One last suggestion: If you have time, I'd also recommend Gold Hill. I did it one time and enjoyed it as much. If you can get up the rough 4WD road a few miles, you could do it relatively quickly.
puddin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by puddin »

Well we are heading out tomorrow afternoon to Middle Fork Lake and going to hike Wheeler on Saturday. Anyone have updated conditions?

How are the roads to the lake?

Thanks
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

I hiked Wheeler Peak on May 29th. I did it from the Williams Lake TH. Roads to that TH were clear and in good condition. There were still many snow drifts in the trees at that time. It was a " climb over the snow drift marathon " but at least it wasn't a " posthole into the snow drift marathon " because many hikers had already compressed the snow that was covering the trail. I had a cold start that turned into a beautiful day! The temperature warmed up and the trail became wet and muddy with soggy snow. Have fun!
Namaste
Sue
puddin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by puddin »

Thanks for the information. We are heading out soon but will post an update to trails and conditions when back.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

The east side (Red River) of Wheeler and Old Mike as of yesterday didn't have much snow left on the mountain.