Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Willow Lake accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Re: Willow Lake accident

Postby hansolo35 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am

Ok Gene,
I can understand your point as to how you see it. You said that if the canoe had not been left there, then the victim never would have gotten into it and thus would still be around today. However, under that thought process, then had the state of Colorado not built a road towards cottonwood lake, then the victim would not have been there. And had the car company not constructed the car that shuttled the victim towards the lake, then he would not have been there. and had the shoe (or hiking boot) manufacturer not had the gall to create his footwear, then the victim would most likely not have been there. And had the restaurant or grocery store the victim patronized right before he went on his outing not fed him, then the victim most likely would not have had the energy to get to cottonwood lake in the first place. And last but certainly not least, had GOD himself not created the lovely and majestic mountain peaks that the victim chose to immerse himself in his personal desire for adventure and spiritual rejuvenation, then more likely than not the Victim would not have been there!!!!
So as any reasonable person can see, all events have preceding events that lead up to them. Whose to blame? Why you could point the finger at any of them. So, why don't Americans quit trying to blame everything and everybody else and just accept personal responsibility and understand that life is indeed not fair and that sometimes bad things happen to good people and that it sucks but that's just the way life is. The person who left the canoe up there probably did not intend for it to be a death trap anymore than the state who built the road there.
Anyway, that said, rest in peace Jesse, we share a similar adventurous soul.

Postby b_boy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Letter of the law vs. spirit of the law?

There are lots of examples (many listed in the last few posts) of things which breach LNT, and yet we still accept as ok. LNT is a principle that we all use to help each other enjoy the wilderness.

East Cross Creek on Holy Cross is used for camping every night. No one expects you to clean up your ashes, remove the existing fire ring, and resurface your campsite so that it is invisible to the person coming along the next night. Nor do you take down every cairn you find to create a better "experience" for the next person. :) These things have function, so we accept them - even though they are technically in conflict with LNT.

I think the canoe is in the same category. You may disagree ... doesn't matter to me. Either way, I hope you enjoy the trail. As I'm on Kit this year, I plan on spending a few minutes reflecting on Jesse's life and honoring him there. I didn't know him, but from his profile I sure liked the way he experienced life while he was here with us.

Postby CO Native » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:04 am

It's amazing how the cold high country water can claim lives. We just had a similar incident in Teller County again at Skagway reservoir. I guess it's not common knowledge just how dangerous frigid water can be. Just because it's a beautiful warm day doesn't mean you shouldn't take the temperature of the water very seriously, and even if you do have a life jacket don't expect that to save you. Even a good swimmer can be in a lot of trouble if they spend too much time in the water. (ex Glacier Lake 2008). A quick dip in a cold alpine lake is exhilarating , but beware how long you stay in.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby colokeith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 am

These stories always make me so sad!!

Jessie: may you forever rest in peace in the mountains that you loved!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby planet54 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 pm

The Summit Daily News had an obituary for Jesse Peterson today.
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120605/NEWS/120609933/1078&ParentProfile=105

RIP Jesse I know that your spirit is in the mountains
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby rpb13 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I did the Helen-Father Dyer-Crystal traverse with Jesse a few years back. He was a really cool guy. Very sad to read this. RIP man.

Postby KentonB » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:38 pm

CO Native wrote:It's amazing how the cold high country water can claim lives. We just had a similar incident in Teller County again at Skagway reservoir. I guess it's not common knowledge just how dangerous frigid water can be. Just because it's a beautiful warm day doesn't mean you shouldn't take the temperature of the water very seriously, and even if you do have a life jacket don't expect that to save you. Even a good swimmer can be in a lot of trouble if they spend too much time in the water. (ex Glacier Lake 2008). A quick dip in a cold alpine lake is exhilarating , but beware how long you stay in.

CO Native,

This has been an interesting thread for me. As a "MI Native" and die-hard swimmer, I had thought about swimming across the highest lake in the U.S. (Pacific Tarn) one of these summers. After reading all the posts (especially ones like yours), it sounds like that may not be wise! I may just limit myself to a "quick dip" as you suggest.

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 am

KentonB wrote:
CO Native wrote:It's amazing how the cold high country water can claim lives. We just had a similar incident in Teller County again at Skagway reservoir. I guess it's not common knowledge just how dangerous frigid water can be. Just because it's a beautiful warm day doesn't mean you shouldn't take the temperature of the water very seriously, and even if you do have a life jacket don't expect that to save you. Even a good swimmer can be in a lot of trouble if they spend too much time in the water. (ex Glacier Lake 2008). A quick dip in a cold alpine lake is exhilarating , but beware how long you stay in.

CO Native,

This has been an interesting thread for me. As a "MI Native" and die-hard swimmer, I had thought about swimming across the highest lake in the U.S. (Pacific Tarn) one of these summers. After reading all the posts (especially ones like yours), it sounds like that may not be wise! I may just limit myself to a "quick dip" as you suggest.

It might work if you wore a wetsuit....but caution would still be a good idea.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Summer Smoke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:21 pm

For those wondering, my friend and I found (what I assume to be) Jesse's body in the lake on Tuesday as it had surfaced, and hopefully it has been recovered by now. I hope this will help his family and friends get some closure.

RIP

Postby jdorje » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Well said, and thanks for the update.

RIP.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby CO Native » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 am

I'm glad to hear the family will be able to have that closure.

You may think it is no big deal now, but those sort of things stick with you for a while. In my experience it is helpful to find someone with whom you can talk it through. It doesn't have to be a big deal. A friend, family member, your pastor. Just talking about it with an understanding person helps you move on from it.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Previous