Willow Lake accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Willow Lake accident

Post by CO Native »

It's amazing how the cold high country water can claim lives. We just had a similar incident in Teller County again at Skagway reservoir. I guess it's not common knowledge just how dangerous frigid water can be. Just because it's a beautiful warm day doesn't mean you shouldn't take the temperature of the water very seriously, and even if you do have a life jacket don't expect that to save you. Even a good swimmer can be in a lot of trouble if they spend too much time in the water. (ex Glacier Lake 2008). A quick dip in a cold alpine lake is exhilarating , but beware how long you stay in.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

These stories always make me so sad!!

Jessie: may you forever rest in peace in the mountains that you loved!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

The Summit Daily News had an obituary for Jesse Peterson today.
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2012 ... rofile=105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Jesse I know that your spirit is in the mountains
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
rpb13
14ers: 57  2  2 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (6)

Post by rpb13 »

I did the Helen-Father Dyer-Crystal traverse with Jesse a few years back. He was a really cool guy. Very sad to read this. RIP man.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

CO Native wrote:It's amazing how the cold high country water can claim lives. We just had a similar incident in Teller County again at Skagway reservoir. I guess it's not common knowledge just how dangerous frigid water can be. Just because it's a beautiful warm day doesn't mean you shouldn't take the temperature of the water very seriously, and even if you do have a life jacket don't expect that to save you. Even a good swimmer can be in a lot of trouble if they spend too much time in the water. (ex Glacier Lake 2008). A quick dip in a cold alpine lake is exhilarating , but beware how long you stay in.
CO Native,

This has been an interesting thread for me. As a "MI Native" and die-hard swimmer, I had thought about swimming across the highest lake in the U.S. (Pacific Tarn) one of these summers. After reading all the posts (especially ones like yours), it sounds like that may not be wise! I may just limit myself to a "quick dip" as you suggest.
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

KentonB wrote:
CO Native wrote:It's amazing how the cold high country water can claim lives. We just had a similar incident in Teller County again at Skagway reservoir. I guess it's not common knowledge just how dangerous frigid water can be. Just because it's a beautiful warm day doesn't mean you shouldn't take the temperature of the water very seriously, and even if you do have a life jacket don't expect that to save you. Even a good swimmer can be in a lot of trouble if they spend too much time in the water. (ex Glacier Lake 2008). A quick dip in a cold alpine lake is exhilarating , but beware how long you stay in.
CO Native,

This has been an interesting thread for me. As a "MI Native" and die-hard swimmer, I had thought about swimming across the highest lake in the U.S. (Pacific Tarn) one of these summers. After reading all the posts (especially ones like yours), it sounds like that may not be wise! I may just limit myself to a "quick dip" as you suggest.
It might work if you wore a wetsuit....but caution would still be a good idea.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Summer Smoke
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summer Smoke »

For those wondering, my friend and I found (what I assume to be) Jesse's body in the lake on Tuesday as it had surfaced, and hopefully it has been recovered by now. I hope this will help his family and friends get some closure.

RIP
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Well said, and thanks for the update.

RIP.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I'm glad to hear the family will be able to have that closure.

You may think it is no big deal now, but those sort of things stick with you for a while. In my experience it is helpful to find someone with whom you can talk it through. It doesn't have to be a big deal. A friend, family member, your pastor. Just talking about it with an understanding person helps you move on from it.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com