Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grays Peak Snow Conditions

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Grays Peak Snow Conditions

Postby jmc5040 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Based on spending the past couple weekends in the mountains I've come to the conclusion that the Grays and Torreys area has some of the best snow remaining. I'm looking to get in another 14er ski descent before this year melts away. Currently, I'm leaning torwards skiing the east face of Grays as it apears that you can link a run from near the summit along the saddle and into the bowl. I'm also looking for more info on Lost Rat Couloir. Is there still good coverage in the couloir and is there adequate snow from the top of Grays along the east ridge down to the top of Lost Rat?

Does anyone have any other information to offer as far as other 14ers that are still skiable? Thanks!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Re: Grays Peak Snow Conditions

Postby Crestoner » Mon May 28, 2012 7:59 pm

See my photo of Grays from Edwards in this thread (taken yesterday): www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=35263&p=420873#p420873

We looked down Lost Rat on the traverse from Edwards to Grays. The upper section looked pretty thin...

Check out the line running down into Horseshoe Basin.

Postby mitrik » Mon May 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Im interested in skiing the dead dog later this week or next week on a weekday, anyone interested? message me.

Postby jmc5040 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:18 am

Crestoner wrote:See my photo of Grays from Edwards in this thread (taken yesterday): www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=35263&p=420873#p420873

We looked down Lost Rat on the traverse from Edwards to Grays. The upper section looked pretty thin...

Check out the line running down into Horseshoe Basin.

Thanks for the photo, that was exactly what I was looking for. Were you able to see how far the snow remained skiable down into Horseshoe Basin? Do you believe there is more of a continuous/ longer run down into Horseshoe or the Stevens Gulch side? I know the Stevens Gulch side has pretty much continuous snow down to the flats below the bowl between Grays and Torreys. I skiied Dead Dog on 5/20 so I'd like to mix up the scenary some more if feasible. I wasn't aware of the coverage back there, but that looks like a potential good route. Which road and TH did you start at hiking Edwards? I was wondering if you can drive to the Shoe Basin Mine. Thanks again.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Crestoner » Tue May 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Sorry for delay in responding...that work thing.

The attached photo is the best I can do to address your question about the downward extent of skiable snow...sorry to have not been more observant (I'm not a skier though!). This photo was taken from a few hundred feet past the switchback in the Argentine Pass Trail. I don't recall if the snow is continuous at that point just to the right of the middle of the photograph.

We parked at the Shoe Basin Mine in Horseshoe Basin. The road is gated at that point.
Attachments
IMG_4905a.jpg
IMG_4905a.jpg (273.64 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Postby jmc5040 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Crestoner wrote:Sorry for delay in responding...that work thing.

The attached photo is the best I can do to address your question about the downward extent of skiable snow...sorry to have not been more observant (I'm not a skier though!). This photo was taken from a few hundred feet past the switchback in the Argentine Pass Trail. I don't recall if the snow is continuous at that point just to the right of the middle of the photograph.

We parked at the Shoe Basin Mine in Horseshoe Basin. The road is gated at that point.

Thanks for all the information that you provided to me on the Horseshoe Basin side of Grays. I decided to ski the Stevens Gulch side, but I appreciate all your feedback. I put together a TR if your interested in reading... http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11915.

Postby jmc5040 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:00 pm

mitrik wrote:Im interested in skiing the dead dog later this week or next week on a weekday, anyone interested? message me.

Hey Mike, yesterday was a fun day, so glad we ran into each other. I included you on my TR, but I don't know if you get notification of it if your included. Regardless, here is the link... http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11915.

Jordan