Guide recommendations for Bolivia, Peru?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Guide recommendations for Bolivia, Peru?

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I hear the horror stories about the bad ones, but does anyone have a recommendation for some good companies for Cordillera Real and Cordillera Blanca Peaks? I hope to go in July.
Thanks!
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Guide recommendations for Bolivia, Peru?

Post by SteveBonowski »

I've used Bolivian Journeys in La Paz for CMC hikes/climbs in Bolivia in 2006 and 2011. Good service & reasonable prices. May be going back to Bolivia in 2013 and will use them again.

It is real helpful to have some basic knowledge of Spanish. Their guides are excellent, but don't have much English. The owner, Marco Soria, speaks fluent English.
Woodie Hopper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

I've used bolivianmountainguides.com twice and have been very happy with their service. All of their guides are first-rate, and their prices include a cook and porters (when necessary- obviously porters aren't needed for Huanya Potosi). You don't need to know any Spanish with these guys, although some very basic Spanish is helpful in Bolivia (mine is pretty limited but adequate for simple things).

I am looking into climbing in the Cordillera Blanca soon, although I haven't been there yet. I've heard nothing but good things so far concerning Casa de Guias in Huaraz and Skylinetours. I'll be contacting them when it becomes clear when I'll be able to go.

Woodie
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

I am also looking into a Cordillera Blanca trip. I have been asked to attend a wedding in Lima this november. My descission on going depends on if I can make a trip out of it. It would just be my wife and I and we want to back pack. Not set on Cordillera Blanca but a good place to start. Maybe someone could answer a few questions.

- Is November a decent time to go? I know it is the wet season and not sure if it is worth the cost for that time of year.
- Do we need a guide and if so, and other reccomendations? We want to back pack and bring our stuff. I don't want/nor can afford a $$$ guided trip. A simple guide to help with logistics and communication would be enough.
- Bus or rent a vehicle? In Costa Rica we rented a Suzuki Jimny and covered a lot of ground. Even though others recommended against it (guide books) all went well.Other reason for vehicle would be to possibly scratch the backpacking and just tour around doing day hikes.
-Are day hikes a good option if we rent a vehicle and stay in hotels?

Thanks for any information folks

Steve