Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Willow Lake accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Re: Willow Lake accident

Postby lordhelmut » Thu May 31, 2012 7:59 am

Very sad. I vividly recall Jesse's Boulder Lake Peak Z and Z-prime TR from a few years back and how his passion for spending time in the mountains was clearly evident. Sounded like a really solid guy.

I remember we went back and forth about some tentative plans to hit the Gores a couple summers ago, but never got around to it. This is a haunting reminder to take advantage of a chance at a potential friendship and follow through with what you say your gonna do, rather than keep on assuming there is always next time.

RIP.

Postby jeremy27 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:02 am

My wife and I met him in March on top of Democrat right before he and a partner skied down to Lake Emma. I still needed to send him some pics. I still have a PM from him to remind me. Sad. Our condolences to his friends and family.

Postby tmathews » Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 am

From his Facebook page

It's kind of eerie that the thumbnail on his photos is of him at Willow Lake.

Be at peace, Jesse.

Postby gopilot » Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 pm

This is a sad story. I got word about the canoe and took it for a paddle last Summer. The ride was a real treat. We stayed close, really close, to the shore because without jackets we knew we'd be goners if we flipped in the middle of the lake. I say leave the canoe, just be smart and safe. That is always the rule in the mountains.

RIP Mountain Brother...

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Rest in peace Jesse....
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby astrobassman » Thu May 31, 2012 9:32 pm

This is really a bummer. I didn't know Jesse, but loved his pictures and trip reports on summitpost: http://www.summitpost.org/users/dharmabum1984/23361

RIP brother.

Postby Davidbee0233 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:55 am

Peace be with you jesse

Its sad to hear about this As ive been planning a trip up to the lake recently.... Will be thinking about him

Postby sunny1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am

Very sad. :(
I didn't have the opportunity to meet Jesse, but always appreciated his posts here - seemed like a good guy, levelheaded.
The pain of sudden loss is very tough. Wishing his friends and family peace and comfort. [-o<
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:27 am

Sad to hear about this accident, and even more sad to find out that it was Jesse. I never met him, but I enjoyed his photos and TRs as well.

May you find peace in that "Great Gore Range in the Sky".
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby RyanSchilling » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Sad -- I remember helping him out a bit via PM when he took over the Cottonwood Peak page on SummitPost. RIP

Postby Gene913 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 am

rijaca wrote:
Wentzl wrote:
That canoe being there was cool and a beautiful gesture for someone to drag it up there for everyone. Too bad about the accident, but if the boat can be retrieved. . .

Maybe they ought to retrieve the body first....

Retrieving Jesse's body definitely should take precedence over retrieving the canoe.
And it's highly doubtful that Jesse's family/friends consider it a "beautiful gesture" that someone dragged it up there and left it behind.
Packing a canoe up there for your personal use, no problem. Leaving it behind, bad idea.
Leaving it behind, no matter how well-intentioned the gesture might be, seems wrong on multiple levels.
Violative of LNT principles; creating an attractive nuisance with the possibility of use at times, by persons, and under conditions that increase the likelihood of a bad outcome, like this.
No doubt we are all responsible for our own decisions and actions. I would not, however, want to be responsible in any way for helping cause a tragedy that impacts anyone other than myself. Hopefully, the person who irresponsibly left the canoe behind has a different view on leaving stuff behind than before.
Grace and peace to Jesse's family and friends.
Last edited by Gene913 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

Postby aaron479 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 am

I agree,
LNT dictates are simple...
but, many things have been left. To the person who left the canoe...you did not cause any death! We all make our own choices. Crazy how society has gone from self preservation to blame. Accident(s) happen. There is no blame. I'd have loved to be there while the canoe was "afloat."
A

PreviousNext