Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Picasa and image sizes

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Picasa and image sizes

Postby djkest » Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 pm

So I'd like to be able to post pics from Picasa without having to 1) use Bill's Bandwidth 2) having to upload the files somewhere else. The nice thing is Picasa will "downsize" my pictures so that I'm not trying to post something that is 2700+ pixels wide.

The downside is that somehow my 800 pixel wide photos are becoming 640 pixels wide... I have no idea what is causing this.

Code: Select all
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BW_8ARF-RQg/T6MSEsA_WpI/AAAAAAAAEs0/wbNwHszzX_c/s800/La_Plata-2551.JPG[/img]

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BW_8ARF-RQg/T6MSEsA_WpI/AAAAAAAAEs0/wbNwHszzX_c/s800/La_Plata-2551.JPG
Last edited by djkest on Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Picasa and image sizes

Postby tmathews » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm

The site automatically scales-down some images. This is originally 1024x768, but it gets scaled-down as well. There's nothing that can be done about it unless Bill changes the software code.

1,024px × 768px (scaled to 640px × 480px)

Postby djkest » Thu May 31, 2012 8:27 am

Hmm interesting. I wonder if Bill is trying to make the site 640 pixel-wide friendly for mobile users or sometime?

Postby Derek » Thu May 31, 2012 8:55 am

I post straight from my picasa to trip reports, and I can adjust size just fine by changing the size code. So I'm assuming you are talking about forum posts only?
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 31, 2012 12:18 pm

In short, the 14ers.com pages (including TRs), resize your upload to two versions: Small (800x600) and Large (1600x1200). So, if you click the "View with Large Photos" on a TR, you'll see the larger ones - or if you click on a photo.

If the photos are linked from another site, the TR page will display them as a max of 800px wide to save screen space.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby djkest » Thu May 31, 2012 1:51 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:If the photos are linked from another site, the TR page will display them as a max of 800px wide to save screen space.

But see Bill, that is the problem. When I link from picasa, the image is somehow resized to 640 pixels wide, even though it's an 800px wide image. If I pull my web address out and just navigate to that address, I get an 800 px wide image.

Strangely, on trip reports I can display 1024 or possibly even wider images without them being resized. I'm not sure what is causing this, but it is only in forum posts. My example in the first post I thought made a good example of this. If you look at the image properties, it's 640 wide, but if you look at the code, it should be 800 wide.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Ah, just forum posts - I'll look at the forum settings...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 31, 2012 4:12 pm

It's something in the code of the new forum style template I installed recently. When I revert back to the old one (proSilver), it shows the images in the correct size.

I'm looking into it...

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Fixed. Well, sort of.

The new phpBB forum layout, which I installed recently, had a 640pixel max-width on displayed image attachments so images wouldn't "run" over the edge of the screen formatting when the image is wider than the window. I removed the resizing so you'll see the minor issue on the right side of the screen if images are wider than the window. No biggie.

Postby djkest » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Fixed. Well, sort of.

The new phpBB forum layout, which I installed recently, had a 640pixel max-width on displayed image attachments so images wouldn't "run" over the edge of the screen formatting when the image is wider than the window. I removed the resizing so you'll see the minor issue on the right side of the screen if images are wider than the window. No biggie.

Thanks! I know this was kind of a nit-picky but I'm glad you tweaked the forum code to fix this issue.