Lightroom 4

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Lightroom 4

Post by djkest »

Just wanted to make a little post about Lightroom 4. I had previously used LR 3.5 and got a free trial of LR 4 to play around with.

Overall I'd have to say I'm impressed with 4. Image quality looks better to me- importing previously edited photos from 3.5 generally improves the image quality. They have redone their "clarity" tool and it no longer puts shadows on top of mountains when you increase the clarity. What it does seem to do is to reduce vibrance or saturation instead.

On the negative, if I'm feeling lazy and I use the "Auto" button, I have noticed that it often gets the exposure wrong, either going too dark or too bright. It's easy to adjust the exposure to your own liking, but it didn't really have this issue with LR 3.5.

It can be had for $150 pretty often, or $80 if you are a student. If you are looking for a tool to tweak your photos, this could be the ticket.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Lightroom 4

Post by Bean »

Thanks for the review. I saw it for $60 a couple weeks ago but didn't jump on it. Oh well, next time around.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Chinook
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 31 8
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Chinook »

I've heard good things as well. Thanks for the update, I think I'll be purchasing.
Living the good life.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I started using Lightroom just before the new version came out, but I'm already considering the upgrade because the price is so low. I'm very impressed with Lightroom and highly recommend it, especially at this price. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm starting to get used to it. I bought a great book by Nat Coalson on Amazon which helps a lot. I'm not sure if he's updated it for LR4 yet, but it's worth checking out.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Can you guys keep an eye out for a "low price" on Lightroom 4 and post it here?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

It's a great program, I edit 95% of my photos in LR. I shoot all RAW, so having a good RAW converter and editor is a must. LR 4 is the king.