night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summitridge
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (7)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by summitridge »

These are from our Mt. Shasta trip a few years ago.
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG (128.86 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG (113.24 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
"What an odd sport we inhabit, where bits of obscure rock in remote locations are recognizable." — Richard Pawlowicz.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

vonmackle wrote:
prestone818 wrote:the ones that look like daylight, is that from moonlight or iso 5 million?
In my Dinosaur NM set, it's more of a combination of bright moon, longer exposures, wide apertures and exposure adjustment in Lightroom. I try to keep the iso setting lower to reduce noise.

Here are the settings I used for the three pictures.

Photo 1:
2 minute exposure at iso 200, 24mm at f4 I had to increase exposure in lightroom because it was underexposed.

Photo 2:
20 second exposure at iso 400, 50mm at f1.4

Photo3:
30 seconds at iso 200, 50mm at f1.4

Leigh wrote: from a camp on the Colorado River in Canyonlands National Park - a full moon was rising and lighting up the canyon walls
Nice shots. I love how the Big Dipper sits just right over the canyon walls.
Amazing shots. Just like day shots but with the sun's harshness filtered out. Very realistic colors too - makes me want to go back and experiment with night photos as well.

Actually, there has been a whole host of fine night shots throught this entire thread. Thanks for sharing.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Mark A Steiner wrote: Actually, there has been a whole host of fine night shots throught this entire thread. Thanks for sharing.
Agreed. Keep 'em coming everyone!

Here's a youtube time lapse I put together of South Split Mountain in Dinosaur.

I'm pretty new to time lapse, but I can definitely get into it. It's nice to be able to set up your camera and let it do its thing while you just lay down and gaze up at the stars for an hour or two while listening to the wildlife around you. It's a whole new experience.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
livetothemax96
14ers: 10  5  3 
13ers: 14 2 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

Nice timelapse, well done! Do you use one of those timers for that or did you just sit outside for a few hours taking the pics manually?
whats life unless you live it?
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

livetothemax96 wrote:Nice timelapse, well done! Do you use one of those timers for that or did you just sit outside for a few hours taking the pics manually?
Thanks! I do have a cable release with a timer, but for this one I just set the camera's exposure to fifteen seconds and locked down the cable release button. This used 377 frames taken over 1 hr 45 min with no gaps between shots. Technically I could stack all the shots to create a single star trail image, but I have never tried this before.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Sugar Madison
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Shoshoni Peak (L) and Pawnee Peak (most of it, R), from Lake Isabelle

thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Stars over the San Rafael Swell, Jan 2012.

Moonrise on the Aquarius Plateau, UT

Eric Lee
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Supermoonlight
Super.jpg
Super.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Here are a couple shots I got of the Milky Way over Capitol Peak this past weekend:
Capitol-2409.jpg
Capitol-2409.jpg (168.96 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
Capitol-2405.jpg
Capitol-2405.jpg (145.24 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
I'm really impressed at Lightroom's noise reduction capabilities. I shot both of these at iso 1600.
njlinderer
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by njlinderer »

Sugar Madison wrote:Shoshoni Peak (L) and Pawnee Peak (most of it, R), from Lake Isabelle

This is a sick photo!
--Rock Chalk Jayhawk--
Chinook
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 31 8
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Chinook »

Here is a picture I took at South Valley Park a few weeks ago with 52 minute exposure.

This one was at the parking lot in Deer Creek Canyon for 35 minutes.

And looking south from South Valley Park with a car driving by.

All the shots were at ISO 800. The still shots were at 25 second exposure and f/3.5 The star trails were stacked with the same settings. Big thanks to Matt Payne for showing me how to do this.
Living the good life.
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

[quote="Chinook"]
This one was at the parking lot in Deer Creek Canyon for 35 minutes.
quote]

This image is crazy! It looks like a giant space octopus is attacking the planet. I like it.