Where is this amazing Peak?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Where is this amazing Peak?

Post by Scott P »

Only vaguely related: in New Zealand, at the same latitude as Colorado, the treeline is around 5000 feet.

It's even lower, around 3000 feet (or lower) in the places I've been there. Glaciers also drop down to 800 feet elevation too.

I took this photo at about 2000 feet:

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Scott P wrote:
Only vaguely related: in New Zealand, at the same latitude as Colorado, the treeline is around 5000 feet.

It's even lower, around 3000 feet (or lower) in the places I've been there. Glaciers also drop down to 800 feet elevation too.[/img]
Is that further to the south? It is a pretty lengthy set of islands. Colorado's latitude is near the middle, roughly.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Jeff Kunkle
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 151
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff Kunkle »

T'is a spectacular place. After hiking 4 days and 54K along the Milford Track, you end at Sandfly Point with the georgous Mitre Peak across the Milford Sound. Then you take a boat or kayak back to Milford Village. Highly recommended! http://www.jeffkunkle.com/Milford%20Track.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells, "CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper, "can." And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Looks like a fun climb to boot - http://www.backpackingmatt.com/climbing ... w-zealand/

+1 on the cruise out to the Tasman Sea, one of the few times its actually fun to play tourist for a day. My friend and I ran into a guy on the ship who worked for the cruise company. He had a faint NZ accent at first, we found out he went to Lynchburg in Virginia and his accent all of a sudden seemed to fade away. You can also kayak out there as well and I agree with Scott P thats its just as spectacular on a foggy, rainy day. Eerie, beautiful landscape down there. Sheep, Asians, unnecesarily extreme sports and mind bending vistas is what New Zealand is all about.
aussie56
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aussie56 »

Check out this link - Matt is the ultimate TR contributor here and his photos are always amazing (as are his 14er cards!)

http://matt.tracz.org/2011/sabbatical/02_04/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

That mountain reminds me of this striking peak which is also "near" by.

- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Balls Pyramid!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is that further to the south?
Yes. The timberline seems to be just over 3300 feet on the North Island and a bit lower on the South Island.

On the North Island, glaciers drop to around 6500 feet.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Beautiful place for sure, but don't bet too much on seeing the whole thing on a trip - if you can get a clear few hours consider yourself lucky!