Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Post by forbins_mtn »

I'm so sorry for your loss. may his soul rest in peace. my condolences to the family. his soul and spirit will live forever
Beto
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beto »

"Other items recovered at the site indicate that some of Nelson’s gear is missing. Among the missing items are a camera, GPS unit and a camp stove, the sheriff's office said.

Since the human remains were found about 120 feet from the campsite, it's possible someone else had passed through the campsite and took those items without realizing there was a dead person nearby, Mosher said."

This is especially upsetting to me. I'd like to think I would have reported finding these items and an abandoned camp to someone. Maybe they tried. My hope is that the finder of these items sees the news stories and is able to at least return the camera and GPS. That memory card would be a tremendous treasure to his loved ones.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to James’ family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Some people may not understand why anyone would have such a passion for the outdoors that they would strike out on their own in rugged wilderness. I understand. I am sorry for your loss and hope that this news will bring some amount of closure for you.

May the Lord grant you comfort and peace in this time, knowing now that James is at home with his Lord and Savior.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

My all of the friends and family of James find peace in these tough times. God Bless!
Last edited by big_red_pride on Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TI83plus
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TI83plus »

Very sad, indeed. Peace be with you, as well as all who knew and loved him.
"I said, 'Do you love me?' and she said, 'No, but that's a really nice ski mask.'" - Lloyd Christmas
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

RIP James and my thoughts and prayers go to all the friends and family.

Although it is tragic, I am glad that he was found along with his camp so that some closure can be had. IMHO it has to be much worse not to find anything at all like it has happened in other cases. IIRC the area where James and his campground was found was searched in prior efforts. In fact it was mentioned that he most likely visited holy cross city due to his interests in ghost towns. I hope that whoever took the camera and gps returns it.
JenGa
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

I add my thoughts and prayers to all of those already expressed on this website. I did not know him but can't help feeling like we've lost a kindred spirit.
It Escapes Me
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by It Escapes Me »

So Sorry to hear this news. Like others have said I hope this allows closure and healing.

I like to think better of our fellow human and hope the idea that someone happened through his camp and took items is untrue. Hopefully there are other reasons for those items not being in his camp.
Not to be confused with Cvrti5!
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I saw this story come up on Facebook, and immediately knew this had to be james. My condolences to his family. At least he spent his last days in beautiful surroundings!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
catlyoung
Trip Reports (0)

Post by catlyoung »

Thank you for the lovely and comforting prayer. I know James walks with God now.
dave_navy_VA
14ers: 41 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dave_navy_VA »

Edwin Baker's words were adopted by a number of college fraternities, including mine, and certainly apply to the special fraternity of the gentle, positive and caring of your son's chosen field who also find the need as we all do - to sometimes go our own way, solo but never alone, perhaps to reflect and plan how to best serve.

There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone; All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own!