Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Re: Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Postby TK » Sun May 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Wow. Very sorry to hear how this ended. May he rest in peace, and may you finally reach some closure.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby highpilgrim » Sun May 27, 2012 2:34 pm

I am sorry for your loss, and thankful that you have found closure.

Best wishes that healing will follow in time.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Sun May 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Wow, i was up near there this morning and was thinking a lot about him. I am sorry to hear how this turned out.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun May 27, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. may his soul rest in peace. my condolences to the family. his soul and spirit will live forever

Postby Beto » Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 pm

"Other items recovered at the site indicate that some of Nelson’s gear is missing. Among the missing items are a camera, GPS unit and a camp stove, the sheriff's office said.

Since the human remains were found about 120 feet from the campsite, it's possible someone else had passed through the campsite and took those items without realizing there was a dead person nearby, Mosher said."

This is especially upsetting to me. I'd like to think I would have reported finding these items and an abandoned camp to someone. Maybe they tried. My hope is that the finder of these items sees the news stories and is able to at least return the camera and GPS. That memory card would be a tremendous treasure to his loved ones.

Postby MountainHiker » Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 pm

My condolences to James’ family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby djkest » Sun May 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Some people may not understand why anyone would have such a passion for the outdoors that they would strike out on their own in rugged wilderness. I understand. I am sorry for your loss and hope that this news will bring some amount of closure for you.

May the Lord grant you comfort and peace in this time, knowing now that James is at home with his Lord and Savior.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby big_red_pride » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 am

My all of the friends and family of James find peace in these tough times. God Bless!
Last edited by big_red_pride on Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TI83plus » Mon May 28, 2012 9:34 am

Very sad, indeed. Peace be with you, as well as all who knew and loved him.
"I said, 'Do you love me?' and she said, 'No, but that's a really nice ski mask.'" - Lloyd Christmas

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon May 28, 2012 1:32 pm

RIP James and my thoughts and prayers go to all the friends and family.

Although it is tragic, I am glad that he was found along with his camp so that some closure can be had. IMHO it has to be much worse not to find anything at all like it has happened in other cases. IIRC the area where James and his campground was found was searched in prior efforts. In fact it was mentioned that he most likely visited holy cross city due to his interests in ghost towns. I hope that whoever took the camera and gps returns it.

Postby JenGa » Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 pm

I add my thoughts and prayers to all of those already expressed on this website. I did not know him but can't help feeling like we've lost a kindred spirit.

Postby It Escapes Me » Tue May 29, 2012 2:17 pm

So Sorry to hear this news. Like others have said I hope this allows closure and healing.

I like to think better of our fellow human and hope the idea that someone happened through his camp and took items is untrue. Hopefully there are other reasons for those items not being in his camp.
Not to be confused with Cvrti5!

PreviousNext