Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newbie DSLR

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Newbie DSLR

Postby djkest » Wed May 23, 2012 2:28 pm

So right now it looks like it's between they Sony NEX-5n and the Nikon D5100, with the D3200 having an outside chance.

So far, here's what I'm thinking.

D5100- +Great quality sensor, has HDR, optical viewfinder (which I like) -heavy, big
NEX-5n +small and compact, lightweight, good image quality -wife hates the removable flash, no HDR, stuck with sony e-mount lenses

Honestly the flash on the Sony is pretty much a dealbreaker for my wife. There is a deal on Amazon where (I think) you can get a 55-200mm additional lens for $150 more... would probably be worth getting for such a low price. But at the same time, and I going to want that range for outside? The stuff I've been reading lately says you often want a wide-angle lens for outdoor photography and scenery.

The standard 18-55 lens seems like a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of lens to me. Some of the better "walk around" type lenses seem to get up in price really fast.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby kimo » Wed May 23, 2012 7:53 pm

If you haven't seen it, the Mansurovs in Denver reviewed both cameras. In Nasim's eyes, both cameras are equal for image quality. Check out those NEX-5N sample pics. Really nice.

http://mansurovs.com/sony-nex-5n-review

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d5100-review

The Fuji XPro1 is also reviewed on their site. Pricey, but a solid performer in the mirrorless segment.

I don't mean to color your decision but I'd go for Nikon based on lens selection alone, but that is only if you plan to get serious about your photography and make it a passion. I don't know if you've carried a SLR on a long hike before, but it really is a commitment. I use a holster on my help belt. I can't imagine keeping it stashed in my pack for occassional use although a lot of photographers carry their camera that way. Otherwise, especially for ease of carry, that NEX-5N looks really sweet at the asking price.

I read somewhere that the $200 price cut on the D5100 is valid only to May 26. Six bills for that body is a steal.

Postby Kane » Wed May 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Just gonna say something here to be blunt...In camera HDR should not be a selling point. That technology is new to dslr's and like a million other "New Features" released in cameras in the past, camera vendors ALWAYS release the minimum acceptance package idea and build on it with each additional camera down the line. Let's put it this way, the hdr technology in the new $3,500.00 Canon 5d mark 3 is still light years from the technology released this year with the inexpensive ($99.00) Photomatix Pro 4. I prefer the more laborious photoshop hand blending technique but photomatix is crazy accurate and incredibly intuitive. So easy a caveman can do it!!!

http://www.amazon.com/HDRsoft-Photomatix-Pro-4/dp/B002CIP12U

Postby djkest » Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, after reading a bunch of reviews and checking out features, I pulled the trigger on the Nikon D5100. One thing that convinced us is we went to Costco and played around with the D5100 vs. some other cameras. Wife was instantly attracted to the Nikon. I got this package:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11659644
I know I'll want a circular polarizer very soon, and a better camera case. And a (larger capacity) memory card. But this gets us started.
Nice thing is, Costco has a 90 day money-back guarantee, and a free 2-year warranty on the camera. Both the camera and extra lens combo were on sale so it seemed like a pretty decent time to buy the D5100.

I wanted to get a telephoto lens and reviews I read suggested that the 55-300 lens was a better quality unit than the 55-200; so we splurged a little and got that. Now I just have to learn to take good pictures!

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how I like it.

Postby Kane » Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 pm

djkest, nice selection. If you ever have questions, suggestions or just need some help understanding mountain photography, let me know.

Postby djkest » Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 am

Some JPEGs straight from the camera- no editing.

(this one has been cropped/downsized)

Album

Previous