Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hitching

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Hitching

Postby Jesse M » Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 pm

I have been on almost all the 14ers with a paved TH in my little Chevy. I am curious what the 14ers.com community have to say about hikers hitching a ride from 2WD TH to the 4WD TH? Are there rules that should be followed? Is this bad form? Do you pick up hitchers on 4WD roads?

Re: Hitching

Postby JB99 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm

If I'm driving by someone hiking up or down a 4wd road I almost always offer a ride if I have room - whether they're hitching or not. When I haven't had room for people I've thrown their backpacks on or in the ride to make their walk a little easier. I've done this on Como Rd. a few times actually. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't say it's poor form, and I'd pick you up.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby metalmountain » Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 am

I will almost always pick people up in that situation, as long as there is room I have no issue giving someone a ride to the same place I am already going. I don't think its ever an issue just to stick a thumb out as they drive by. Often I will just stop and ask since I try to slow down and not dust bowl people walking up the road anyway. So I would never say its bad form at all!
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby tmathews » Wed May 16, 2012 7:29 am

I'm a big proponent of "paying it forward", so yes, I have and always will offer to pick up hikers heading to a trailhead. I also feel it's good for karma. I figure what goes around, comes around, and one of these days when I need a ride someone will offer one to me.

I'll pick up a hitchhiker in non-hiking situations, too, but the friends who have known me for years really dislike that I do that. When I was in the first couple of years of college (aka young and naive) and still living at my parents' house, I picked up a couple of hitchhikers who then forced me to take them up to an area around Cheesman Reservoir near Deckers. I was able to get away from them because I ended up asking some campers for help. There was this whole thing with the JeffCo sheriffs office searching for them for a couple of days, but then a Teller County sheriff's deputy spotted a couple of guys hitchhiking along Hwy 67 toward Woodland Park that matched my description of them. They were picked up and eventually charged with Wrongful Imprisonment and spent a few months in jail. Apparently, one of them confessed that they were going to kill me.

So, yeah, I'm a lot more discerning when it comes to picking up hitchhikers in a non-hiking capacity and I'll never pick up more than one person. Hikers, though, are a different story.

Postby Yikes » Wed May 16, 2012 7:57 am

tmathews wrote:Apparently, one of them confessed that they were going to kill me.

Wow! Sounds like we need to take them up to the knife edge and give em a shove.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 am

If they are apparent hikers - appropriate gear and heading in a direction that would indicate they might have a destination in my same general direction - I will usually ask them if they want a ride to the TH or wherever they are going common to my destination... I've had people way down at the parking lot for the 2WD Mount Princeton say "no, we are going to hike it all the way"... great! And I've had people who've "needed" a 300 yard reprieve up in the Argentine Basin because they didn't want to have to hike back uphill the little ways to get to the Santiago Mine headframe from the Waldorf mine.

If they aren't hikers, and they are on a lonely country road... I have stopped, and I have driven past - it's a gut feeling made by a 2 second observation at 30-50 mph. If you really want to be successful in hitching, don't look the part of a quiet, dark, introvert who has not had a chance to bath or shave in three weeks. And know that I have my weapon within reach of the driver's seat at all times.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby glacierfox » Wed May 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm new to the area so I can't really weigh in on local customs. However, throughout college my friends and I would take the train from Chicago to Glacier National Park and relied soley on hitching to make it from the train station to trailhead and back again. Maybe just in MT, but met some great people hitching and I would certianly be willing to pay it forward as I get started on 14ers.

Postby coloradokevin » Wed May 23, 2012 6:22 pm

I routinely give rides to hikers who appear to be seeking one... I've driven dozens of people up to Grays/Torreys, a few people out to the trailhead past Winfield, a number of ski bums up mountain passes, and a few thru-hikers back east along the AT and other such areas. I have no problem driving hikers, and I do so whenever I have room in my vehicle. In the past I've picked up hitchhiking hunters, and I've been a hitchhiking hunter in the past (typically only other hunters pick up the guy who's holding a shotgun or rifle). Once in a while I've had the opportunity to BE the hitchhiking hiker, and I've appreciated the rides I've gotten.

In the past I've occasionally picked up everyday hitchhikers, often for company along the lonely highway. I don't do that as often these days as I used to. I have mixed feelings and experiences with these people. I've never had a truly bad experience, but I know that this crowd is often composed of more drifter/low-life types than the hiking crowd.

Also, one reason I feel comfortable picking up hitchhikers is because of the fact that I feel quite capable of handling myself among criminals (should I accidentally come across one), and I'm also typically armed.

Postby atalarico » Wed May 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Ahhhh, it's like you're unintentionally making me feel bad. I was driving up to the Gray's TH yesterday and passed two women walking along the road. I was going to offer but a few things kept me from doing it. First, I was alone and I didn't want to seem like a creep to them (they were in their early 20's, and I'm in my late 20's and look scraggly). Second, there were these jack-ass kids driving in a Tacoma behind me that were uncomfortably close to my rear end. I think they were implying that I was going too slow. Instead of my normal pull over and wave them past, I decided to speed up and give my new suspension a work out. Third, I didn't see any of the visual cues indicating they'd even want a ride.

However, it's enough to make me feel bad because I know that before I had my 4runner, I would try to be a tough guy about it and not look like I wanted rides from people. I tried not to ever look desperate, even though I would have desperately jumped at any ride offers.

I've picked up numerous backcountry snow sliders on Loveland Pass, and I try to leave a seat clear on road trips. I've met more nice people than weird people hitchin, and I know plenty of really nice punks that love hitchiking cross-country. Word to the wise, if you see a "dirty" and disheveled punk type, pull over. They're probably going to want to trade a service or offer something in exchange because they believe in giving.

Postby JDip » Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 am

When I was 16 I ran away from home and hitch hiked/rode freight trains for a little bit under a year. I was a scrawny, dumb little teenager that survived beatings, getting left behind, and riding the rails by the grace of god. Thankfully I was usually picked up by very kind people. I always try to return the favor.

I gave some hikers a ride to their car from the top of the MT. Princeton 4wd road, past the cell and radio towers. Ther hikers were quite fatigued and were ever thankfull for the ride to their 2wd vehicle. I've neever hitched a ride up or down a TH, but I'm sure if I'm ever really tired I would try to.
If someone flagged me down and I've got room in my jeep, even if not, ill still try to help em out.

Postby JDip » Thu May 24, 2012 6:02 am

I should mention I rode across the country. Quite a ways.. so if I didn't help out hitch hikers, karma would likely shoot mt in the foot..