WTF?!? More fun banter about Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: WTF?!? More fun banter about Everest

Post by Alan Arnette »

eagrnnr wrote:I agree that the amount of people on Everest is a problem, but some people seem to be putting them down for even wanting to do Everest. What's so bad about wanting to climb something? Who cares if it isn't some cutting edge climb? I've been hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park for nearly a decade, and the entire time Long's Peak has been looming over me. I want to know what it's like to see the world from that summit. I want to test myself against the mountain, and see if it will grant me a few minutes up top. Is that so bad? Who cares if a lot of people want to climb it? That doesn't make it less special. (Although, I don't like peak baggers at the same time)

Also, on the subject that it should be illegal to have that many people on a mountain. You try telling an amazingly poor nation that one of its main money makers is going to be restricted by outside forces. It won't go over too well. Noble intentions, and I hate to see this many people spoiling the mountain, but Nepal needs the money. They will not do a single thing about this.
I'll climb Longs with you anytime. Let me know.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

cwm191 wrote:
wegerje wrote:Conga line. Congo is the country name.
Are you sure? I thought it was book by Michael Crichton and a movie with Tim Curry
The legend of the white ape is true!
eagrnnr
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eagrnnr »

Alan Arnette wrote:
eagrnnr wrote:I agree that the amount of people on Everest is a problem, but some people seem to be putting them down for even wanting to do Everest. What's so bad about wanting to climb something? Who cares if it isn't some cutting edge climb? I've been hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park for nearly a decade, and the entire time Long's Peak has been looming over me. I want to know what it's like to see the world from that summit. I want to test myself against the mountain, and see if it will grant me a few minutes up top. Is that so bad? Who cares if a lot of people want to climb it? That doesn't make it less special. (Although, I don't like peak baggers at the same time)

Also, on the subject that it should be illegal to have that many people on a mountain. You try telling an amazingly poor nation that one of its main money makers is going to be restricted by outside forces. It won't go over too well. Noble intentions, and I hate to see this many people spoiling the mountain, but Nepal needs the money. They will not do a single thing about this.
I'll climb Longs with you anytime. Let me know.
Alan, it would be quite the pleasure!
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Jim Davies wrote:So would Vern Tejas: http://7summits.com/statistics/Tejas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vernon Tejas' poise and overtly gentle nature seem incongruous with the challenges he presents himself. From riding his bike up Aconcagua (the site of Vernon barreling down 22,835' of the highest mountain in the Americas must have caused quite a stir) to paragliding off Mt. Elbrus, Europe's highest point, he takes his ventures very seriously and with calculated risk.
I'm wondering--has anyone biked all of the Colorado 14ers yet, from the trailhead to the summit and back? :?:
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
JDip
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDip »

The majesty of the mountain cannot be transformed, only abused.
I personally plan to climb Everest one day, but I'm in no hurry so long as I've got Colorado's greatness in my back yard. (Not to mention of course, the dollar amount :!: )
My heart goes out to those families and individuals. Success can come with a great cost, and in the grand scheme of things, capitol is not of real value. Not in this case. I cannot condemn another person's endeavor for it is not my place, I can only point out the fact that it sucks people died trying to do something they wanted to.
Call it bragging rights, call it what you will, but do you not think they were explained of the danger before the start of the expedition???

I guess you could say it's like marching into war without bullets (for an inexperienced person to climb Everest), but if they really wanted it, I hope they were willing to die for it. Because Mountains like Everest simply demand that type of dedication.

Seriously, you'd have to be quite simple minded to think climbing Everest is a guaranteed walk in the park.
I salute the people who tragically died after getting to where they were going: The top of the World.

All things aside, the day I'm heading up, you can bet your a** I'm willing to die to get there....
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

I'm not jealous of the money spent. Lord knows I have at least $65k of junk in my basement! What puts me off is that the majority(not all) of the people on that mountain seem to be there with feelings of entitlement rather than passion. IMO
To put almost any of those people who are on Everest right now in a classification of mountaineer or adventurerer would be wrong.
Would you put Ashton Kutcher is the same classification as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin just because he paid the $200k to go into space for fifteen minutes?
I'm more jealous of the fact they are able to get the time off work! I work for a large company in Boulder, and even if I had the $50K+ to climb Everest, my job only allows an hourly scumbag like myself to take 9 consecutive days off work. NO exceptions for any hourly employee, unless you can somehow classify it as FMLA.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

winmag4582001 wrote:What puts me off is that the majority(not all) of the people on that mountain seem to be there with feelings of entitlement rather than passion. IMO
I'm curious how you came up with that opinion? Seems like a big assumption to make of a large group of people that you couldn't possibly know all of.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

JB99 wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:What puts me off is that the majority(not all) of the people on that mountain seem to be there with feelings of entitlement rather than passion. IMO
I'm curious how you came up with that opinion? Seems like a big assumption to make of a large group of people that you couldn't possibly know all of.
opinion........ that's why I didnt claim it as a statistical fact.
I also have the opinion that Ashton Kutcher is not an astronaut no matter how much he pays to get into space. :D
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

14erFred wrote: I'm wondering--has anyone biked all of the Colorado 14ers yet, from the trailhead to the summit and back? :?:
Impossible. And possibly not allowed- not sure on that one.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

djkest wrote:
14erFred wrote: I'm wondering--has anyone biked all of the Colorado 14ers yet, from the trailhead to the summit and back? :?:
Impossible. And possibly not allowed- not sure on that one.
not impossible...definitely not allowed on a lot of them, especially longs.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Death rate for climbing CO 14ers: 1 in 75,000
21st century death rate for climbing Everest: 1 in 50
Some 8000m peaks are much worse than Everest
JDip
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDip »

Wow. Reading some the comments blew me away.

If I want to pay someone to guide me up a mountain, and both of us understands that there is a risk of death, then what's the big deal???

And furthermore, who's to say its cheating to use fixed ropes, how does that take away from the accompplishment??? I'm climbing to get to the top, so please don't tell me what is or isn't an accomplishment for me.

I think there are just waaaay too many nosey people butting in where they shouldn't. If you feel crappy climbers are a risk to you and your team, then choose a different route.