Ideas for an extended climbing/fly fishing trip?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Ideas for an extended climbing/fly fishing trip?

Post by rhinos00 »

My friend and I are planning to go on an extended trip from June 5th-7th. More than likely it will be 3 days and 2 nights, but if it's a long haul, we would be willing to leave on Monday, June 4th to get a head start.

Ideally, we would like to go to a place with great backcountry/alpine fly fishing, but also gives us the option of climbing a peak or two if we want to take a break. It doesn't have to be a 13er or 14er. Here are some ideas I've come up with, but I definitely need some help:

Snowmass Lake - really like the idea of coming here because of the great fly fishing opportunities and a 14er being nearby. However, I'm slightly concerned that the snow may not be melted by then and that the lake may not be thawed out.

Blanca Peak - always have wanted to come here and fishing at Lake Como is decent from what I hear, but not sure how much snow will be up there and if the lake will be thawed by then.

Golden Horn - sounds like a really beautiful, remote place, but don't really know how fishing at Ice Lake or Fuller Lake would be.

If anyone has any other recommendations please post here or shoot me a PM. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Ideas for an extended climbing/fly fishing trip?

Post by huffy13 »

Lot's of great trout fishing on the way to the Stewart Creek TH for San Luis Peak as well as at the Dome Reservoirs. Very isolated...lots of wildlife. Very pretty area around Cochetopa Wildlife Area.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

huffy13 wrote:Lot's of great trout fishing on the way to the Stewart Creek TH for San Luis Peak as well as at the Dome Reservoirs. Very isolated...lots of wildlife. Very pretty area around Cochetopa Wildlife Area.
About a mile before you get to the Stewart Creek trailhead is Nutras Creek. Lots of beaver dams and elk. Access to Stewart Peak, a centennial 13er. Very few people.

Ice Lakes Basin holds snow longer than most San Juan areas so the lakes might still have quite a bit of snow and even ice.

Como Lake is a long hike up a nasty road.
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Thanks for the replies so far! The only thing I could find on the internet is about some alpine lakes near the Chicago Basin. There really isn't much out there :?
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

Barry Raven wrote: Como Lake is a long hike up a nasty road.
With a recent history of bear issues...
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

BobbyFinn wrote:
Barry Raven wrote: Como Lake is a long hike up a nasty road.
With a recent history of bear issues...
That doesn't sound like fun :-s

Anyone have any other recommendations?
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

One other option that I can think of is Treasure Creek in the South San Juan Wilderness. You may still have some postholing issues if you choose to climb a peak, but it's doable. 13ers to climb include Summit Peak (highest in the South San Juans), Montezuma Peak, and The Unicorn. I do not know if Treasure Creek has fish or not but it has a lot of very nice waterfalls. Last time I recommended this, someone PM'd me when they got back and said they woke up in the morning surrounded by a herd of elk. There will be very few people if any.

I do know that there is a lot of fishing in and around Platoro Reservoir which is not too far from the Treasure Lake trailhead.

http://www.summitpost.org/treasure-creek/740301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.conejosriver.com/platoro/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Thanks for all your input Barry! Last July, my friend and I went to Lakes of the Clouds right next to Spread Eagle Peak. I've never seen so many fish feeding off the surface in my life. It literally looked like it was raining with the amount of water rings the fish were creating.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

Try West Tennessee lakes off of Tennessee pass north of Leadville. Both lakes have great fishing (or did last year), and you can spend a day climbing Homestake peak, and ridgewalking over to Slide lake or drop off the west side to Isolation Lakes and Lost Lakes. All have decent fishing. The hike in to West Tennessee lakes is mellow and there is a great camping site at the base of a pond below the lakes.
ptyrg
14ers: 34  4 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ptyrg »

Just thought I would throw this one out there. have you Ever been to the Wind rivers in Wyoming? 6 to 7 hours from Denver, Hundreds of peaks to climb, on mostly good granite. Some of the best alpine scenery in the lower 48s, and the Fishing!!!! ON MY G. Hundreds of lakes. You Probably can't hike more than two miles without running into a lake, or stream that isn't loaded with trout. and the further in to the wilderness you go the better the fishing. Did I mention there are RARE golden trout there? The Down side, such a big wilderness with limited trailheads That it would be a stretch for a four day trip. Big sandy opening Is probably the closest trailhead to Denver,and would take you to the Cirque of the tower,( famous climbing area) and Deep lake area.
rhinos00
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Never really thought about going out of state, but Wind Rivers looks awesome! I'll have to look into a little more to see if it would be doable.