Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14 hours at Castle Rock

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

14 hours at Castle Rock

Postby boudreaux » Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 am

26 miles, 13 hours and 52 minutes. 12:30 am start on Monday. Very quiet out there for the first 6 hours. 1st light at around 5 was quite a welcome relief, the building glow was firing me up. My biggest fear was meeting a skunk and I never saw one. The day dawned with clear blue skies as I started my 11th lap, each lap is a mile. Now with the sun up, the sites are the same every lap. I counted four different kinds of bushes, noted five blue/purple flowers, 3 yellow. The tent caterpillars were crossing the trail. The singing birds started up at 4:09 and had me wondering what they were. Anything to keep your mind occupied as you plow along. I met a lady with binoculars and figured she was a birder and asked her what bird was that as I pointed. Oh, that's a Towhee, but I saw a grosbeak down there. At that moment, I had an epiphany, I just realized that I was falling into that age group known as 'old people', old white people to be exact. Why do I even care about these birds, because at the moment they were keeping me focused on something else other than the pain. That's a good thing right now. By lap 14, a few people were coming up the trail, mostly women too, blonde and beautiful, what is it with this place, a chick magnet, hmmm! By lap 20, I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, when a swarm of bees jerked me out of my stream of thought. I was stung on the neck and left swatting at a few others for a moment. A cloud hovered way overhead on the southside of the rock. Another hiker pulled the stinger out of neck and we got out of there. Plans were changing in my mind, do west side of trail back and forth til this dies down instead of the loop. I warned a few women about the bees, they were greatful. By lap 21, the bees were settled down and the march continued. But every lap I got up to the base of the rock, I was looking up there to see what's happening. On lap 25, taking a break under the cool shade of a tree, the bees were at it again. This time even angrier than before. I don't know what pissed them off, the swallows dive bombing them,I don't know. I took a 15 min break til they calmed down before moving on. The sun had been bearing down on me for several hours now, I was all slathered up with sunscreen, slowly chugging away at the hill. At the top I texted my wife announcing 26x, whoohoo baby in a muted tone. The bees were gone now, the walk down the backside slow and methodical. The gatorade I stashed behind a rock at the trail intersection was on my mind and I knew if I stopped that was gonna be it. I sunk to the ground in the shade of the rock to gulp down the gatorade, all the while thinking about quitting, I was satisfied with my efforts, finally, it's over! I had achieved my goal of 26 miles, the same distance on the Barr Trail of Pikes Peak, my next big adventure. I thought about getting 30 laps to closer realize the elevation of Pikes, but quickly dismissed that thought with a wry little smile. I think I'm ready to battle Pikes. Watch out here I come!
Ragin Cajun

Re: 14 hours at Castle Rock

Postby Derek » Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 am

:lol: Glad to see you made it past the "blonde" crux on lap 14....
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby doggler » Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 am

Yes, awesome stuff. This begs the question: where were you during the Inclinathon???

Postby lemurtech » Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 am

This sounds like Ridgeline Open Space? I mountain bike there a lot, but I can't imagine doing that many loops! Wow, very impressed.

Postby colokeith » Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 am

I trail run "The rock" frequently for training. That is a LOT of laps!!! well done
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby boudreaux » Tue May 22, 2012 12:50 pm

colokeith wrote:I trail run "The rock" frequently for training. That is a LOT of laps!!! well done

I've probably seen you out there running, I've been training on the Rock since late March. I love the view you get of Pikes Peak! Been hiking there for many years.

lemurtech wrote:This sounds like Ridgeline Open Space? I mountain bike there a lot, but I can't imagine doing that many loops! Wow, very impressed.

While I can't ride like those b-a in the Rocky Mountain Endurance series, I love Ridgeline too, it is a freaking awesome course and have put myself through quite a few race like trials there.
doggler wrote:Yes, awesome stuff. This begs the question: where were you during the Inclinathon???

Never heard of that one, but sounds like a brutal event
Derek wrote::lol: Glad to see you made it past the "blonde" crux on lap 14....

Derek, it truly is amazing how many women run this rock..wow!

I saw 6 vultures, a fox, a pair of falcons nest above the bees, there's deer, it's a little paradise!
Ragin Cajun

Postby dsunwall » Tue May 22, 2012 1:43 pm

It will now be overrun by dudes looking for chics, don't over advertise this one Beau, it's too busy already. :-$ It's only 1 mile around and 200' of gain per lap, not a destination run.

Postby boudreaux » Wed May 23, 2012 7:29 am

hey, if you through a trip to Santiago's and the liquor store down below on Wilcox St, it becomes one! :P

It's ok to look!
Ragin Cajun

Postby boudreaux » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 am

I want to do the Incline someday soon. Thanks for the link to the Inclinathon! I wish I lived a lot closer to Manitou, I would be in there often to torture myself more.
Ragin Cajun