Rocky Mtn NP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Rocky Mtn NP

Post by PaliKona »

Was up there today and hiked to the pond above Timberline Falls (lots of snow btwn the Loch and the pond). Didn't make it to Sky Pond as my window of free time closed. I hadn't been up in Rocky in a few years and forgot how magnificient it is! What are some of your favorite hikes there? Mine are the one I did today, the Dream and Emerald Lake hike, and up Flattop. I'd like to explore other amazing parts of the Park and hope to be inspired by responses.
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Rocky Mtn NP

Post by chrismjx »

Hey! I was up there today as well, I wonder if we crossed paths? It was a great day for a hike to the Loch, although the snow did get to be a pain near the Loch itself. We got spooked off our perch by the dark clouds, but about a mile into our retreat, the sun came out again. Bummer... Looking forward to Sky Pond opening up over the next week or so. Will probably try again in 2 weeks.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

How funny...I also got spooked by the clouds coming over the divide when up by Timberline Falls and then, yeah, sun came back out 20 mins later...oh well, was gorgeous up there. I'm sure we crossed paths...I was solo with a Red Sox hat on..
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Storms were certainly teasing that area all day today. We got a late start and hiked the Ouzel Lake Trail from Wild Basin, starting at about 2:30pm. Heard a few rumbles of thunder, had some rain spit on us, and were convinced we were going to get nailed by a storm on a couple of occasions. Nothing really ever materialized though.

There's a lot to love in RMNP, honestly. I enjoy the Emerald Lake trip the most in cold winter weather, simply because there aren't throngs of tourists to deal with. I like Sky Pond a lot, Lake Helene, Mills Lake, Lake Haiyaha, the Wild Basin area (Ouzel Falls was flowing very nicely today, and the whole hike down that trail puts you right beside a very nice stream). I'd also say that Longs Peak is probably my favorite 14'er, despite the crowds. I can't get enough of the sunrise pictures from the Boulderfield, and it's a fairly interesting mountain. In that same area, Chasm Lake makes a great day hike. Nearby, Estes Cone is a less visited lower elevation peak that provides good views of the area.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

I went up Twin Sisters Peak and then over to Twin Sisters Mountain this winter for the first time. Twin Sisters Peak West was crowded, East had a few less people and nobody else was on Twin Sisters Mountain which is just a Class 2 talus hop away from everyone else. Lookout Mtn has amazing views of Wild Basin and Meeker and was a Class 4 final summit block that was a bit of a challenge for me. Also this winter I did a variation of Deer Mtn using both the South and North Trails to loop around the mountain while going up Deer Ridge East during the same trip. The North trail opens into a meadow with great views of the Ypsilon group. And other than this first part of the South Deer Mtn trail was able to hike away from the crowds.
mathguy
14ers: 9 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mathguy »

What are some of your favorite hikes there? Mine are the one I did today, the Dream and Emerald Lake hike, and up Flattop. I'd like to explore other amazing parts of the Park and hope to be inspired by responses.

By all means try Sky Pond again when more of the snow has melted (as well as the ice
around Timberline Falls). Black Lake is also a good destination, and is made even better
if you continue on up to the shelf above Black Lake where you're in the heart of Glacier
Gorge. You can hike around to Frozen, Green, and Blue Lakes, and you're surrounded
by magnificent peaks like Longs, Pagoda, Chief's Head, McHenry's, etc.
I'm with you, RMNP is a beautiful place.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Love Sky Pond and Frozen Lake - I'll add Sandbeach Lake to the list. Beautiful, and just under the shadow of the Longs massif.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I was thinking of hiking to Black Lake this Tuesday...bad idea with all of the downed trees and snow near Mills Lake and beyond?

Or, could head the other way to Lake Helene and Odessa...
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Went toward Helene from Bear Lake today to hike up Joe Mills Mtn. Soft snow about 50% of the way. Traction devices weren't needed, The trail was mostly easy to follow except emerging from the woods to traverse the lower slopes of Flattop.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

How deep...were you postholing much of the way? What's the hike up Joe Mills like? Good view?
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

PaliKona wrote:What's the hike up Joe Mills like? Good view?

Went up last winter. It takes some work and routefinding in snow but it's easy enough. The view is second to none.
Notchtop_from_Joe_Mills.jpg
Notchtop_from_Joe_Mills.jpg (342.76 KiB) Viewed 665 times
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

If you do make it up there, make sure to spot a rare view of little Round Pond!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!