Where is this amazing Peak?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Where is this amazing Peak?

Post by MuchosPixels »

Hi, I found this image while browsing the net and it is pretty amazing and on the verge of being almost fake but Im pretty sure it's real. I have no clue where it is. I think its somewhere in North America but I have no clue, might be northern Europe looks like its in a humid climate. Anyone know the name and location of this peak?
Attachments
Amazing_Peak_NoClue.png
Amazing_Peak_NoClue.png (232.14 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Last edited by MuchosPixels on Thu May 17, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where is this amazing Peak?

Post by SeracZack »

Shangri-La, China. At least that is what Google came up with.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Ok, just found it. Just installed ImageExchange plug-in on chrome (got it while browsing the luminous-landscape website, they had an article on that type of software). Lo and behold I got a hit on getty images.

It's not in China 8) anyone?
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

So whats the name of the peak?
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

im guessing new zealand
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

The mountain is real -- it's Mitre peak (5,551 ft.) in New Zealand, in Fiordland National Park close to the shore of Milford Sound. See http://www.backpackingmatt.com/climbing ... w-zealand/ -- a spectacular peak indeed!
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Bingo! (That was fast, impressive!)

"New Zealand,South Is.,Fiordland Nat. Park,Milford Sound,Mitre Peak, Fiordland National Park and World Heritage area includes some of New Zealand's most famous walks including the Milford Track. Milford Sound (22km long fjord) is at the end of the Milford Track and is the home of the 1695m Mitre Peak. Photographer:
Christopher Arnesen"

Wow, what a place. I just added it to the places I MUST go sometime...
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

damn im good, its called mitre peak

http://local.google.com/maps?q=mitre+pe ... k&t=w&z=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

prestone818 wrote:damn im good
No -- you're GREAT! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

nz is on my list of places to go. absurdly long flight though. maybe i should wait until commercial space travel is up and running
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good luck on seeing it like that though. Mitre Peak is in the Milford Sound and it rains 300+ days a year. Usually the peak is covered in clouds. On the plus side, the rain makes the waterfalls spill off all the cliffs. It's one of the prettiest places that I've been.

Where the photo was taken from is at the end of the Milford Track, one of the most famous hikes in the world.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Only vaguely related: in New Zealand, at the same latitude as Colorado, the treeline is around 5000 feet. Completely bizarre (and you can tell in that picture).
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."