Marble area trails

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alex
14ers: 31 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Marble area trails

Post by Alex »

I am going to be in Marble, Co. with a group of friends in the very beginning of September for 5 days. Could anyone please suggest any good hiking destinations in the area?
Group limitations: not higher than class 2 yds, not more than 16 miles round trip, between 1000' and 3000' elevation gain. It is not necessary any summits, beauty of the nature has higher priority for most of the group.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Having said that, I would like to get to some summits myself, preferably 13ers. I would consider anything up to class 2+, not more than 20 miles round trip and up to 4500' elevation gain just for myself. So far I considered both Treasure and Treasury mountains, but would also appreciate any other suggestions.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Marble area trails

Post by giarcd »

Rasberry trail which starts just uphill from bridge over Crystal below the fire house-(short hike across face of Rasberry Ridge,however the trail does continue up adjacent valley circling around to Anthrcite Pass)---the trail ends up descending to Quarry Road just a couple miles above the starting point.
NIce walk back !! (turn left at apex from the road)
giarcd
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

OOPs :oops:
Last edited by giarcd on Wed May 16, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I agree with Giardc, Rasberry is a nice trail and easy to get to the trailhead. There are several trails right from the town and all are good. Most are shown on trailmaps like the nat geo map. The hike to the Marble quarry is also a classic and I believe you can still look into the quarry opening and collect a souvenier piece of Marble for a small donation.
If you have 4 wheel drive you can get to the trailhead for Snowmass and Geneva Lake (described in the trailhead section on this site).
From there the possibilities are endless. Hiking into Fravert Basin is really good especially if the Aspens are changing. That is part of the 4 pass loop trail.
That is also the trailhead for Hagerman, a centennial 13er.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Pick up the
Sky Terrain trail map for
Aspen (crested butte, maroon bells)
Sky Terrain has a great series of maps, my favorites.
There are lots of trails out of Marble.
Raspberry, Yule Pass, Carbonate Creek Trail.
More out of Crystal, Lead King, Silver Creek.
A neglected jeep road from the Christian Camp
will get you up Whitehouse and or Treasure.
A drive out to Crystal is a must,
if you have the proper vehicle.
From the Mill, we crossed the river
and climbed Treasure via Bear Basin last August.
Where are you staying in Marble?
CrystalMillCrossing copy.jpg
CrystalMillCrossing copy.jpg (260.06 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Bells10.jpg
Bells10.jpg (204.49 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Good suggestions by everyone so far, particularly the Sky Terrain map of the Maroon/Snowmass Wilderness Area. I would just add Warren Ohlrich's books to the list for references (each of which has several routes in the Marble/Crystal area in them):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... en+ohlrich

My favorites are pretty much anything above Crystal (Geneva and Little Gem Lakes, Rustler Gulch, etc.) and the Yule Pass/Paradise Divide area). Also didn't see a mention of the Anthracite Pass to Ruby Creek route which is an interesting backpacking trip between Marble and the Keebler Pass area.

Cheers!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Alex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

We are going to stay in Beaver Lake Retreat.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
gkhickox
14ers: 11 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gkhickox »

A couple of suggestions, the first of which I selfishly hesitate to post because it is such an untrammeled place. Every time I go to Marble I head up to Thompson Flat, along the Yule Creek trail. If you drive up towards the quarry, park just after the road makes it's first big hairpin to the NE and find the trailhead nearby. It's only about 2 miles up and then back down and across the Creek and you can explore one of the most sublime settings in Colorado. Not a long or particularly strenuous hike, but if you want to include some climbing you can scramble straight up Treasure Mt. to the Yule Lakes. Back in 1979, my geology field camp partner was so taken with this place that he made me promise to spread his ashes here, which a few years ago I sadly obliged.

Another great day hike out of Marble is the trail around the north side of Arkansas Mountain. Drive up the Lost Trail Creek road and stay left at the fork over to Crystal. Park along the road where the North Fork Lost Trail Creek crosses the road. Head north along the well defined trail here which circumscribes Arkansas Mt. for great expansive views and wilderness. The only drawback to this hike is the trail dumps you out on the road and you have to hike back down the road to get to your starting point.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Alex wrote:We are going to stay in Beaver Lake Retreat.
For a nice nearby hike to the Beaver Lake Retreat, try the Buckskin Basin/Carbonite Creek loop which starts down the street from there and follows a drainage around Mount Owen and then back to the lower end of the Lead King Basin road, which you can hike down to get back to your lodgings. A nice side trip off this route is a climb up to Avalanche Pass which overlooks Avalanche Creek and the south side of Capitol Peak.

So many interesting options in this area...

I second gkhickox's suggestion of the Lost Trail Creek Trail and Arkansas Mountain although it has grown in popularity in recent years.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Alex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

Thanks a lot to everyone! I have plenty of trails to choose from now.

One more question.
One friend of mine suggested to hike the following trails (quote) "in the area:
1. Willow Lake trail – starts at the Maroon Bells
2. Electric Pass trail.
3. Lost men Trail." (end of quote)
Looking at the map I've got impression that there are no good roads directly from Marble to those trails and I would have to spend half a day driving. Am i right?
giarcd
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

All good ideas ('lost man trail' is off Hwy 82 above Aspen on way to Indy Pass, not around Marble thus a drive) -----have fun with your choice !!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Alex wrote:Thanks a lot to everyone! I have plenty of trails to choose from now.

One more question.
One friend of mine suggested to hike the following trails (quote) "in the area:
1. Willow Lake trail – starts at the Maroon Bells
2. Electric Pass trail.
3. Lost men Trail." (end of quote)
Looking at the map I've got impression that there are no good roads directly from Marble to those trails and I would have to spend half a day driving. Am i right?
All of those trails are based out of the Aspen area and not Marble. You are right, there are no roads in between (only the Wilderness area) and would require driving down Highway 133 to Carbondale and then taking Highway 82 to Aspen. (about an 1.5-2 hours one-way). They are definitely worth the drive if you are inclined though...

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick