Grayrock group -- torched

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Grayrock group -- torched

Post by RyanSchilling »

Such a shame, that is a gorgeous area. Looks like four of the six peaks in that group are on fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/2863/
Attachments
img_5469_edit.jpg
img_5469_edit.jpg (168.73 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Last edited by RyanSchilling on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Grayrock group -- torched

Post by Derek »

This really sucks.

From the map, looks like UN6740, UN7309, UN7180 are covered and Aiguelle de Greyrock (left side in your image) is about to go down. I recall lots and lots (and lots) of brush when hiking those peaks, so it probably will be tough to contain.

I still consider Aiguelle de Greyrock a hidden gem of a peak, too bad the views from the summit will be soured for a while.
RyanSchilling
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Derek wrote:This really sucks.

From the map, looks like UN6740, UN7309, UN7180 are covered and Aiguelle de Greyrock (left side in your image) is about to go down. I recall lots and lots (and lots) of brush when hiking those peaks, so it probably will be tough to contain.

I still consider Aiguelle de Greyrock a hidden gem of a peak, too bad the views from the summit will be soured for a while.
Agreed. I had a ton of fun on the Aiguille, and I was really looking forward to taking my daughter on a hike of Grayrock when she's old enough to hike it herself. It won't be the same.

They have about 5% containment, and they're obviously focused on the residences in Poudre Park. I don't see how the fire won't overtake Grayrock itself soon.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Derek wrote:This really sucks.

Agree with ya 100% on that one! Took me damn near 30 minutes to find a way up it. A hidden gem indeed!
The downfall on that slope was crazy.
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

That is a major bummer! I was just wondering today what peaks are affected by the fire. The Greyrock Grand Slam is one of the finest low altitude hikes Larimer county has to offer. You can link together six ranked peaks there. I'm glad I climbed it before the fire, it will be a much different hike now. Kind of like Sheeprock in JeffCo I guess. Hope they get a handle on the fire the next few days.
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

I went to take a look today as the fire increased in intensity. Very sad.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

I wish people would make sure they put out there camp fires all the way, and make sure there nasty smoking bubs are out before they leave. These careless people are taking away places and experiences we might have in the future! The Grayrock area was a very beautiful hiking spot. I guess I'm not going to take any dates hiking there anytime soon. People, please be careful when you are dealing with fire!!!
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Crud, should have climbed the Aiguille and North Greyrock and some of those other peaks when I had the chance. I was planning on doing those after work some evening.

According to a pic I saw in the always reliable Coloradoan, it looks like the fire started northwest of the Hewlett Gulch TH, right? I am thinking it was on that service trail just north of that ranked/unnamed 6er. Does that sound right?
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Wow, looks like the entire area between the summit of Greyrock and highway 14 are in flames. That's really unfortunate. That was my favorite place to go hiking outside of Ft Collins.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Inciweb just reported that the fire has grown to 5,090 acres in less than three days with only 5% containment. That's already larger than the whole Lower North Fork fire. :shock:
RyanSchilling
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

tmathews wrote:Inciweb just reported that the fire has grown to 5,090 acres in less than three days with only 5% containment. That's already larger than the whole Lower North Fork fire. :shock:
I heard the same on the news. That tally means the fire quintupled yesterday. :cry: They also mentioned that the fire is now threatening the Bonner Park and Bonner Springs subdivisions which lie just northeast of Bonner Peak.
mike offerman
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

The amount of smoke in the air this morning in Windsor(almost 30 miles away) is crazy. Smells like a campfire outside.

Looks like the fire is already taking off this morning, a huge billow of smoke is already climbing.