Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

San Juan Conditions?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

San Juan Conditions?

Postby tsizz » Fri May 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Just curious if anyone has any beta regarding ski conditions in the San Juans. 14ers, 13ers...anything that has a super fun climb/ski descent? Any info on the Wilson Group or Ophir pass? Realize it's getting a little late in a year like this one, but still holding out for many more good turns :) Any info is much appreciated...also, enjoy doing solo outings but if anyone needs a partner please let me know. Thanks!

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Postby rmariani » Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 am

Dont know what conditions are like, but heading down from SLC today to ski Wilson Peak from silver pick if you want to join. I'll be in a red tacoma, at the new trail head...which doesn't look like a good place to ski back to.
Ray

Postby moneymike » Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks anna. Those are very helpful.
"You will have the 14er ski descents on your resume and you can develop your next mission objectives. Mine will be to get a bunch of girls pregnant and I will document the struggle between crying b*****s and trying to ski 24/7." -Anonymous a**hole

Postby esskay1000 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Did Redcloud & Sunshine today, not enough snow to ski

Postby zdero1 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Hiked up Handies today and saw a skiier heading up. Plenty of snow on the slope and into American Basin.

Postby tsizz » Sat May 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks you guys for the info thus far!...any chance you could please keep it coming? Line I wanted to ski tomorrow isn't in, so on to plan b. Looking forward to something fun next weekend so continued reports are without a doubt very appreciated (I'll obviously post what I find out there as well)! Hope everyone gets some great turns in! Thanks again!

Postby ap snow » Wed May 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Anyone want to ski El Diente Friday?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

ap snow wrote:Anyone want to ski El Diente Friday?

Dang it! Would of gone with you if I didn't have plans, but do you mind posting conditions on Luttrell line if you go?

Thanks in advance!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby ap snow » Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
ap snow wrote:Anyone want to ski El Diente Friday?

Dang it! Would of gone with you if I didn't have plans, but do you mind posting conditions on Luttrell line if you go?

Thanks in advance!

Will do. Ken did Mt. Wilson the other day and sent me a picture of the north face and it looks great.

Postby moneymike » Wed May 16, 2012 6:27 pm

esskay1000 wrote:Did Redcloud & Sunshine today, not enough snow to ski

The west slopes of Sunshine and Redcloud do not have enough snow, but the E and S.E. still look skiable (as of the 14th).

Handies' N.E. route is in really good condition.
"You will have the 14er ski descents on your resume and you can develop your next mission objectives. Mine will be to get a bunch of girls pregnant and I will document the struggle between crying b*****s and trying to ski 24/7." -Anonymous a**hole

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 am

zdero1 wrote:Hiked up Handies today and saw a skiier heading up. Plenty of snow on the slope and into American Basin.

This picture was taken the morning of May 5 2012, Handies from across the basin. I guess our definitions of 'plenty of snow' vary to some degree.. Maybe there was more snow on the 12th. ha. We chose to climb.ski the patriot couloir, a little better line..
Attachments
Coulir 015.1.JPG
Coulir 015.1.JPG (123.25 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Climb up Pints down

Postby killingcokes » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Spent the last few days down in the San Juans and I thought I'd share some links for those that might be interested.

http://makingturns.com/?p=1569

http://makingturns.com/?p=1566

Next