Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Report Says Ski Pass Holders Could Reduce Traffic

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Re: Report Says Ski Pass Holders Could Reduce Traffic

Postby ajkagy » Fri May 11, 2012 9:01 am

a train would be awesome, but no way CDOT or the state has any funds to pay for it. They can't even afford widening the highway...unless of course some private company wanted to fund it and make a profit from it.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 am

Winter olympics come to Colorado, train comes with it.

Easier said than done, the committee doesn't like us very much after we denied them for the 76 games in Vail. Small price to pay to keep the Cali's out. :lol:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 am

OneArmSteve wrote:I love trains... way more economical, and environmentally more friendly.

A common misconception. I agree they're a great way to travel, though.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 am

The Colorado ski industry grosses about $1 billion per year. An I-70 train has been estimated to cost $15 billion. Do the math.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby ajkagy » Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 am

TravelingMatt wrote:
OneArmSteve wrote:I love trains... way more economical, and environmentally more friendly.

A common misconception. I agree they're a great way to travel, though.

if you calculate how much fuel it takes to carry a certain amount of weight a certain distance it is way more economical than transporting the same cargo (humans or goods) via car/truck or vehicle.

No traffic jams either, unless of course it's an Amtrak yielding to a Freight train.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:01 am

Given the pickup in 14er popularity, maybe the train should include stops at the following trailheads: Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, and Quandary? :lol:
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri May 11, 2012 10:13 am

ajkagy wrote:if you calculate how much fuel it takes to carry a certain amount of weight a certain distance it is way more economical than transporting the same cargo (humans or goods) via car/truck or vehicle.

That ignores the cost of building the infrastructure in the first place. Also, that's only true because freight trains are filled to the brim with freight.

No passenger train service in North America is profitable on its own, not even close. There's one exception, which is tourist railroads. The Durango-Silverton train is a useful comparison. It costs almost $100 roundtrip, on infrastructure that's already paid for, and on a much narrower right-of-right of way than a train up the Front Range would require. Oh, and it takes several hours longer than driving.

No traffic jams either, unless of course it's an Amtrak yielding to a Freight train.

Reminder: You need two tracks to guarantee no traffic jams. Also, you're still limited by the train schedule and its stops.

The only times there are real congestion problems on I-70 are Friday evenings, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons. Slap an extra lane onto I-70 in each direction and if you want you can make it bus-only during peak times. I promise this will be cheaper, less damaging to the environment overall, at least as fast, and more versatile than a pair of train tracks.
Last edited by TravelingMatt on Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 am

It's too bad the Winter Park train went bye bye. A train would be sweet to see into the mountains. If anything it'll happen between Colorado Springs and Denver before the mountains get it. I am so thankful that I never have to drive I70.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby prestone818 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am

train is a great idea for vail and copper mountain. others not so much unless the resorts do a resort to train service. seems a little far fetched

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 am

prestone818 wrote:train is a great idea for vail and copper mountain. others not so much unless the resorts do a resort to train service. seems a little far fetched

Bus service from a Dillon/Silverthorne train stop to Abasin/Keystone/Breck would be a viable option. What about a Loveland train stop?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri May 11, 2012 10:30 am

EatinHardtack wrote:It's too bad the Winter Park train went bye bye. A train would be sweet to see into the mountains. If anything it'll happen between Colorado Springs and Denver before the mountains get it. I am so thankful that I never have to drive I70.

This is the funny part, everyone says "build a ski train" when we had one that nobody used.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Scott P » Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 am

That ignores the cost of building the infrastructure in the first place.

No passenger train service in North America is profitable on its own, not even close

Mostly true (some of express trains between the big cities, i.e. Washington DC to NYC are supposedly profitable). It's because we in North America are all addicted to cars. It takes about the same cost in infrastructure for one train a day as it does 100. If more people rode the train, it would be profitable (which is why trains in places like Europe and Japan can pull a profit). It probably wouldn't be profitable here unless a whole lot of people rode it.
Last edited by Scott P on Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Next