Long Live TalusMonkey

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Long Live TalusMonkey

Post by zoomie83 »

Sorry we lost you bud. A Colt .45 and a shot of Captain Morgans in your honor.
and a warm Mountain Dew!
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

gdthomas wrote:Many have tried but none have succeeded in replacing his presence on this site.
Amen Greg.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I'll join the chorus of people who never met him, but wished they had. RIP.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
COmedic04
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

Just another echo to all the sentiments already expressed. Miss ya, mate. Hope you're tackling some bitchin' ascents up in the great blue yonder.
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I never met David, but I do remember that weekend. I was at a large rocket event that got weathered out. I wasn’t a member of 14ers.com yet although I had found the site searching for current trailinformation. Like many I read through every post with information on what happened. I cried for David and Caroline, who I didn’t know but felt for what they endured.

I considered joining the site right away so I could express my condolences. But I didn’t because I didn’t want to intrude on what I could see was a community. Each year when the first weekend in May comes around I think about TalusMonkey.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

It seems like yesterday when this happened. I was in shock when I saw on the forum and Caroline's subsequent TR on the whole event. I always thought he would have been a laugh riot to climb with. Long live the Pimp outfit for his finisher.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

I always say something for Caroline and David every time I am there. We were there a couple days later. I watched the posts for a long time. Time moves so fast. Live each day.
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

MountainHiker wrote:I never met David, but I do remember that weekend. I was at a large rocket event that got weathered out. I wasn’t a member of 14ers.com yet although I had found the site searching for current trailinformation. Like many I read through every post with information on what happened. I cried for David and Caroline, who I didn’t know but felt for what they endured.

I considered joining the site right away so I could express my condolences. But I didn’t because I didn’t want to intrude on what I could see was a community. Each year when the first weekend in May comes around I think about TalusMonkey.
I feel the exact same way MountainHiker. I was actually on Humbolt with a climbing partner just a few days prior, and were still in the area climbing in the Horn Creek Basin, which is only a couple valleys away. My climbing partner and I had a bad feeling about the weather and since we were exhausted from 12 days of climbing and 17 summits, we bailed. As we were eating at Pizza Hut in Canyon City, we heard of the accident. We were shocked, and spent the rest of the day walking around the Royal George area, speechless. Even petted that white buffalo they've got there.

I've always felt connected to that event, even though I have never met David or Caroline. Climb on man!
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I spent some time reading the origional TalusMonkey thread and it was pretty emotional. I also looked at a bunch of his trip reports. It's just a shame, such a vibrant and unique individual with a funloving sense of adventure and enthusiasm. The world is not the same without him around. I've never met him but I recognize what a loss it has been.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Coming up on 6 years now. I may head down to Humboldt on Sunday for a sort of memorial hike. It's been 6 years since I've been to Humboldt.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

Wow. Coincidentally, I was just rereading the whole memorial page for him today.
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

You're not forgotten, TalusMonkey.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.