Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Getting out for a ski next weekend!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Getting out for a ski next weekend!

Postby scramble » Sun May 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Hey hey, I'm lookin' around for some ski buddies for next weekend. (The 12th or 13th.)
Stuck inside studying and my level of stoke has dropped unacceptably low :-D

My dream is to hit a couloir or chute or something in the low 40-degree range, but we'll have to keep chatting about conditions, safety, etc.
I've had a blast the few times I've gotten to climb things in crampons, so it would be fun to climb something and then ski it!
I'm a medium-pace hiker, solid on skis and I took AIARE level I. It's my first season in the backcountry though so I am still trying to learn more about snowpack/hazard evaluation, find partners, etc.

Let me know if you'd also like to get out or if you have some plans and would be willing to let me tag along.

Thanks!
-Sara

Re: Getting out for a ski next weekend!

Postby livetothemax96 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:34 pm

I skied dead dog a couple of weeks ago, and A friend of mine skied it yesterday and conditions are still looking good. I may be down for doin it again, I'm not sure what else is in right now, but dead dog sounds like what you might be looking for, it's so much fun. I've got avy gear and basic (but not official) training, so I might be down for it depending on how things play out this week, I have AP tests on Friday so I'll be pretty antsy come the weekend. I live in SE Denver and can't drive, so that might be a bit of a problem, but whatever, just keep your plans updated!
whats life unless you live it?

Postby FullertonImages » Mon May 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Definitely sounds like something I might be interested in! Wife and Baby are out of town this weekend, so looking to stack it up with adventure.

I too am in my first season of BC skiing. I just got back from 5 days skiing BC in the Tetons, am feeling pretty solid and Dead Dog might sound like a good next step for me. If the conditions were nice corn or the like, and not hard crust or ice, then Dead Dog or something like it sound pretty good to me. And I'm also an adventure photographer, so if it feels over my head, I'll just shoot photos. I too have taken the AIARE Level 1, have avy gear and any other necessary stuff.
Adventure Photographer - Staff Photographer for Backpacker Magazine and Climbing Magazine.

Fullerton Images Facebook Google+ Twitter

Postby FullertonImages » Sun May 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Good times, folks!
Adventure Photographer - Staff Photographer for Backpacker Magazine and Climbing Magazine.

Fullerton Images Facebook Google+ Twitter

Postby scramble » Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Woohoo : )

Postby livetothemax96 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

scramble wrote:Woohoo : )

FullertonImages wrote:Good times, folks!

+1 for sure, thanks for the lift Scramble! It was an awesome day
whats life unless you live it?